free website stats program shovelhead electric / kick start | Harley Davidson Forums

shovelhead electric / kick start

steamdonkey

Hi again

thanks to all for tips on the engine numbers...

My next question....

What years did the shovelhead have both Kick & Electric start?

I want to buy a repair manual but I see the shovel heads are broke up in a few different year ranges...

I want to make sure i buy the right one....

Also are there any other year or year range specific features
"motor/tranny only as it is a home built custom" that I need to consider before selecting the manual..

again thanks ahead of time for any help or suggestions

Steve J
SteamDonkey

I think fx had them 72 - 84. flh stopped when they became shovelheads or in 65 w they got electric start.. 65 -70 they were generator & then they got an alternator

Ok...

cool....

this one has the cone / alternator

so post 1970 would probably be the renage I need to shoot for

thanks for the tip...

Steve
SteamDonkey

& in late 77 or 78 they want from 74 ci to 80 ci & at that time they got electronic ign. from points & condenser set up..

What transmission does it have? They changed around Late 1978.

If you get the Harley Service Manual
Fl/FX Models 1200/1340cc 4-Speed 19781/2 to 1984 Part No. 99482-84

It has info on boths trannies

1980 they came out with the1340 and 5 sppeed trans, friend has 74 superglide 1200 kick and electric start on it. or idiot start some call it lol.
good luck my 80 is just electric

1980 they came out with the1340 and 5 sppeed trans, friend has 74 superglide 1200 kick and electric start on it. or idiot start some call it lol.

A lot of Shovels had after market kickers added to them

80 to 84 They had both four and five speeds. Depending on model. My 81 FLH has electric and kick, kick was added. Easy to add.

my 79 fxef had both hated to kick but nice when needed electric just made us lazy

ride safe ride often

Back