free website stats program Shovelhead carb | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovelhead carb

TimBeeker

My '81 has an Andrews carb on it. Doesn't seem to run like it should. I can not find much info on this carb.
What would be a good(cheap) replacement.
S&S, etc.

I don't know what cam the bike has, right now it has 1 3/4 pipes w/ mufflers but am gonna change soon.

Any suggestions is much appreciated, as always with me now, money is tight.

Thanks.

IMO you can't go wrong with an S&S carb but if you're going to need the whole kit...carb,intake,air cleaner,etc,you're probably in the $500.00 range.

Had a B on my 79 fx and it always seemed to run too rich and it sticks out quit a bit farther than the E. Put an E on and it was easy to tune and runs like a champ. Easier starting too.

My '81 has an Andrews carb on it. Doesn't seem to run like it should. I can not find much info on this carb.
What would be a good(cheap) replacement.
S&S, etc.

I don't know what cam the bike has, right now it has 1 3/4 pipes w/ mufflers but am gonna change soon.

Any suggestions is much appreciated, as always with me now, money is tight.

Thanks.

Ahhh... The old Andrews Flowmaster carb... Know it well... As well as one can trying to find replacement parts. I have a buddy with one on a 76 FXE. It crosses over 2 ways. As HD high performance carb from that era, or as a Keihin. The keihin cross reference for a rebuild kit gives you all the parts plus some extras..

As for it not running right. They are a pain to get dialed in. With those pipes, 1 3/4, you may not be jetted correctly. Does it have the stock intake? K&N style air filter or stock. Does it stumble on acceleration? If it does the accelerator pump cold be you problem. The o rings may be allowing air to bypass into the accel. pump.

Post up more info on your ride and let's see what we can figure out...

Last edited:
It does not have a stock intake, it is chrome but not sure of the difference vs stock.

It does have a K&N air filter

It does stumble upon acceleration.

I can either adjust it to start and idle with poor topend,
Or adjust while riding for better topend but not idle or start.

I removed and cleaned both fuel tanks and replaced the petcock screen.

I have removed carb and cleaned well including all passages,
I have replaced the needle for not shutting off
I have replaced the accelerator diaphragm.

I bought this bike last October, it had been sitting since 2000.
I don't know how well it ran before being parked, I have no history on this bike.

It has new plugs and wires.
It has a new condensor and cleaned points.

Hi Tim,

Verify the throat of the carb is the same diameter of the intake. I have seen some installs were the intake was large/small than the carb.

The stumble on accel, could be caused by a mis-adjusted accel. pump. You can regulate when the pump is actuated by adjusting the screw that depresses the pump rod. Did you replace all the O rings?

The needle valve failure is common on theses carbs. Did you check the float adjustment?

What do the plugs look like when the carb is adjusted for start and idle and you ride for 25 or 30 miles? And the same when you adjust for top end?

Also, have you checked to see if the intake seals are leaking? Do you have old style O ring with the clamps, or the rubber band type of seals?

Hi sleddog,
Thanks for responding.
I do have new band seals on the intake, didn't check the size of throat but will.

I did not change o-rings on accel. pump,should I?

I am not sure what the float level should be since it is not a stock carb. Would it be the same as the stock Kein (sorry for miss spell) carb?

You are a well of info

Thanks a bunch.
I don't know alot about Harleys, but I am learning.

When you do the accel pump diaphram you should change the o rings.

The float is set just like the stock Keihin.

Back