free website stats program Shovel starter shaft assembly | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovel starter shaft assembly

Morse

A few months ago the starter drive on my '79 fxs was binding; I had only owned it a week or so, and when I removed the case I found a cobbled-together five-post clutch that had cast a nut. The nut had been removed but the damage was done, to the starter drive and actuator-ring. Also the inner primary bearing was seized so i transferred the primary cases, starter shaft assembly and gear linkage from my '82 flh which is off the road as i knew i'd have a long wait for parts. Now i'm putting the flh back together, i'd like to know for sure if there is a thrust washer on the starter shaft on the starter (right) end, between the gear and the needle-bearing/housing? I've seen several parts diagrams which give a number for this washer up to '71, or '78, or '80, depending. Does this mean later bikes don't use one at all, and should the fxs have one?

If you're talking about the end of the starter shaft that fits into the Primary Cover,then yes there is a brass or copper washer there. All the shovels and old shovel pans I've work on thru the years have had one.
tourbox

That copper washer was an end play as well as a support for the inside of the primary:s

Thanks for your reply, but i'm talking about t'other end of shaft- the starter(right) end. Any ideas?

Yes there may be spacers/shims in that end for end play of the commutator itself.They are thin shims.I don't know the spacing spec. though.
tourbox

Yes there may be spacers/shims in that end for end play of the commutator itself.They are thin shims.I don't know the spacing spec. though.
tourbox

I dont think there is an actual spec here, you will be able to feel a slight bit of play

Back