free website stats program Should We Be Concerned? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should We Be Concerned?

We’ve seen several comments and articles concerning states and municipalities cracking down on modified exhausts and motorcycle operations in general. While some of these are “false” alarms in terms of real actions/laws, it does raise some concern about a backlash towards motorcycles. It seems ABATE may be leading the cause to fight unreasonable laws. Do many of you support ABATE and are you concerned about a movement to rein in motorcycles?

And I thought I read somewhere else on this forum ,under a different thread a member ask "What does politics have to do with riding Harleys" NEWS FLASH ---- politics plays a role in just about EVERY aspect of our lives!!!

I'd like to voice my opinion on this.

This last year in Tomohawk, the cops were handing out fines pretty good for pipes. I know down towards Milwaukee, the sheriffs are getting worse with the fines.

I agree with something that was said before. Alot of this stems from people being "foolish" while riding. I have ridden with people that I think, at times, ride just to make noise. That's not what riding is about to me. I mean, I won't sit here and say that I don't enjoy a nice rumble from my pipes now and then, but there are times to do it, and times to not do it. Sometimes, a little common sense goes a long way.

Another thing can be a simple choice of what pipes to buy. Rush makes a great pipe that is very similar to the old Screamin' Eagle II pipes. They are more of a nice rumble then obnoxious loud. I just know from talking to police officers personally that they are going to go more after the obnoxious loud ones than anything. But again, alot has to do with how the rider is riding.

Just my opinion.

Problem is one person's music is another person's noise. Sound regulations and restrictions are just an excuse to allow a peace officer to stop, fine or impound a rider or his motorcycle...and eliminates the ability of the rider to protest, and is discrimitory and profiling, plain and simple. There is little to be done with this except that we hope that even if such bad regulations or laws pass, enforcement will be "lack luster" because peace officers/judiciary do not want to crowd the system with frevilous laws. :small3d015:

What about all the cagers with 1000W booming bass heard blocks down the street, do you see 90dB restrictions and peace officers immediately ticketing or impounding them? :yeahright

That's a good point too. I agree totally. If they are going to come after us and our motorcycles, then it should be for everyone and every vehicle. I know they do go after cars and such for noise, but no where to the extreme that they do motorcycles.

.. Sadly a lot of this loud pipe enforcement comes from a few morons that love to gun the throttle and make obnoxious racket in a public area....

I completely agree. It is a few who spoil things for the many. Who wants to listen to some moron's noise, be it from a loud stereo, loud pipes (on cars and bikes) that are revving through the gears, or tires screeching....

The one thing I don't understand is how seat belts on bikes are supposed to help?

I will never wear a seat belt on a motorcycle. I'll figt that until I'm blue in the face. Seat belts on a motorcycle is nothing but a death trap IMO. If my Harley is going down, I want off!

Yeah black tips are cool. That's why the Rhinehart pipes sell so well.

As for the Goldwings and the airbags, again I would never have it. I talked to a sales guy that I know at a local Honda/Suzuki/Can-Am dealer, and he said that option was NOT popular.

Yeah, we still have the 2009 Road Glide in Mirage Orange Pearl with ABS. The thing now with the changes is it's a lot easier to do exhaust. I know that when I have been talking with customers about which pipes to use, I now caution against loud obnoxious pipes just simply due to the fact that they now have a good chance of being fined.

I like Rhinehart sound but they are to loud for me. I keep talking myself out of the SE one with black ends.
You all ready know if that orange 09 is still around we maybe dealing just right now I would take a bath on my 07.
I always like the way my bother in laws Sg sound with Rhineharts on it

Smitty,how about the new slash cut SE slipons?

I would not recommend the new Screamin' Eagle pipes at all unless you want no noise. HD brought them back and they are great for performance, but unlike their obsolete Screamin Eagle II pipe, these are quieter than stock.

Back