free website stats program Should I trade 07 Yamaha for 2001 RK? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I trade 07 Yamaha for 2001 RK?

Not sure where you live, but bike purchasing is usually down around the Northeast at this time, unless you are buying new. Guy I got mine from told me he tried selling this bike at this time last year and got no bites, but come end of winter, early Spring, I had the itch bad as did many others. Craigslist is well-known, but still not as well known as ebay, you could try ebay as well, I would just make sure you demand local pickup only and give it a reserver with a Buy It Now.

You have received a lot of excellent information here.... Rushing into something usually ends in regret later. My newest bike is an 07 and I already have the FEVER again. I would recommend some demo rides... the dealers around here are all having them and it is a good way to see and feel the bikes for FREE. My dealer is having one this saturday and the way they do it is wait until they have 8 to 10 riders and they have a lead and follow bike. You get some in town riding and even go on the interstate, the rides takes at least 30 minute or longer and if you want to sign up to try something else they will continue until everyone who wants to ride does. On the FEVER it is like a cold you get it several times not just once. Happy riding... and remember once you get a Harley you will understand !
:s

Be patient with Craigslist. I had the same problem with responses. Most are slow to respond. I learned to look at the ones with phone numbers and just called. That worked out much better.

Where are you located? I even looked in neighboring cities and states. Craigslist is a pain to search through, but it was worth it for me.

Hello,

I looked at the 2009 Street Glide and Road King last night.
The Streen Glide is still too high for me, I have about a 26 3/4 inseam.
Dealer said it could not be lowered.

It is almost 2k more than the RK, but I like the features, radio, dashboard.

Any way I can fit into the SG?
The RK was also hight, but can be lowered.

Is the RK a better bike in terms of ride?

Thanks

Frank

Frank

I have not taken a SG for a ride so I can't answer. I loved my RK when I had one and thought it rode great.

I would not rush into it.Why not change out the bars first and go from there.Harley's do require more attention than metric bikes,so know what your getting into first.
I did have a '01 Roadstar before I bought my '06 Road Gilde.For me the HD was way more comfortable for my wife and I,easier to install accessories.
It did however cost a lot more money.

Thanks, I really want to get into a Harley.
Seat height is the main problem.
The SG seems to be too high and dealer cannot lower it.
Looks like RK is the way to go.

Frank

If this bike is fuel injected, I would tell you NOT to purchase it. This is the last year of the Magnelli Marelli system. In 2002, H-D came out with a new system, Delphi FI.
H-D has shocks which lower this bike 3/4 ". With the addition of a lower (read more uncomfortable) seat like the badlander, you'll be just right!

Hello,

I looked at the 2009 Street Glide and Road King last night.
The Streen Glide is still too high for me, I have about a 26 3/4 inseam.
Dealer said it could not be lowered.

It is almost 2k more than the RK, but I like the features, radio, dashboard.

Any way I can fit into the SG?
The RK was also hight, but can be lowered.

Is the RK a better bike in terms of ride?

Thanks

Frank

Time for me to jump in.

You've got the fever bad, which is not always a bad thing, but you need to SLOW DOWN. You were originally concerned about taking a $2,500 hit trading your Yamaha in on a 8 year old HD with 35,000 miles on it. Now you're seriously talking about getting something that will easily be $20,000 + out the door!

First, yes, you will do better selling your bike yourself, but it is a total pain in the rear in most cases. Phone calls 24/7, test rides, paperwork, etc. I traded in my Sporty in February but got well above wholesale for it and kept the new bike at MSRP. Like Glider said, do your homework and know what your bike is worth but realize you may have to adjust that a bit trading it in at a Harley dealer. Maybe a Yamaha dealer would actually give you more for it?

If you're looking to buy used, there are tons of websites available where you can get a good deal instead of paying inflated prices for used bikes at dealers. Ebay, Craigs List, HD Trader, Cycle Trader, Chopper Exchange are all possibilities.

Finally, if your going to buy a 2009 and ride off into the sunset with a HUGE grin on your face here's my input. You need to do lots of research and rent or demo several different bikes. Since you're inseam challenged, you should also consider the Dynas and Softails as well as the Touring family. I, personally, chose the Street Glide over the Road King for the fairing, gauges, stereo, and overall lower, leaner, more modern appearance.

Like many have said - TAKE YOUR TIME - your bike is out there so don't rush and buy the first one that seems like a good deal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

If this bike is fuel injected, I would tell you NOT to purchase it. This is the last year of the Magnelli Marelli system. In 2002, H-D came out with a new system, Delphi FI.
H-D has shocks which lower this bike 3/4 ". With the addition of a lower (read more uncomfortable) seat like the badlander, you'll be just right!

vnamvet,

Which system don't you like? BTW check out The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall. They'll be in Clearwater 10/30 - 11/3.

Frocco,

There is a company, the name escapes me at the moment, the makes a set of lowering blocks for the RK. The blocks drop your rear ride height 3/4". That and the shorter shocks would give you a 1.5" lower rear ride height.

Back