free website stats program Should I sell my full face helmet to be cool? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I sell my full face helmet to be cool?

You are right shorts and tennis shoes hurt in an accident. Biggest adjustment that I will incorporate when healed is jeans all the time and boots even on short trips and now a helmet. Tennis shoe gave and my big toe was almost ripped off.

You are right shorts and tennis shoes hurt in an accident. Biggest adjustment that I will incorporate when healed is jeans all the time and boots even on short trips and now a helmet. Tennis shoe gave and my big toe was almost ripped off.

Dang man, sorry to hear that.

When I was still in the Air Force I taught a lot of Rider Safety courses. I stressed to these guys in ever course that safety equipment was a must, and never drink and drive. During my time teaching there in Japan I watched a few of my students ignore everything and pay the ultimate price.

One kid finished the class on Sunday afternoon and I signed his license so he could ride on and off base. He celebrated with a couple of friends, and went riding off base after drinking at the NCO club. After a couple of short stops he got sick of putting the helmet on and off, so when he hit the side of the truck 5 minutes later he had no protection. The final report was that he was legally drunk, and that based on the impact a helmet would most likely have saved his life.

The other story that always comes to mind is even more sad in some ways. The rider was a good kid, and he was in full protective gear. His girlfriend on the pillion was in light summer wear only. She died at the scene, he was a broken man, and he was charged with the Japanese equivalent of Reckless Endangerment. In Japan a US license makes us what they term a professional driver. That means the penalties are more sever, and in most cases the pro driver is at fault because they should have seen and avoided the accident.

So not only keep yourself safe, but anyone you allow to get on the bike with you.

Heal up quick man. At least you were smart enough to learn something from your mistake, and at least you are getting the chance to learn it. Best wishes.

I hate to break this to you but plain old jeans are simply a marginal improvement over shorts. They will tear instantly in a crash and you'll be sliding on your skin anyway. Much better protection from hot pipes and bugs, stones, etc. though. Now the reinforced jeans from Draggin' and Bohn are a different story.

No! keep wearing your full face
I always wear my Arai full with mesh jacket with armour
Your body will thank you when you go down(rain,gravel,oil,animals,cagers,etc)

I wear a half helmet myself but thinking about a full face, the bugs always seem to hit me between the glasses and the helmet, right in the forhead.

I think that hurts more than any of the broken bones or wounds that I have had!

The facts are these:

- The most frequent point of impact during an accident is on the cheek. Only a full face will protect you.

- The second most frequent point of impact is the temple. Pretty much need at least a 3/4 to protect you.

- The least likely place to hit is top of the head. But, the half helmet will protect you in those cases.

As others have said, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Mike

If you are comfortable wearing a full face helmet then stay with it.. I have a friend that had an accident and she done herself no favours wearing one. She don't look too cool now!

I wear a full face all the time along with a mesh jacket, boots and gloves. i dont need to impress nobody! if you dont like the way I look then dont look at me.

I am one of those riders that have been down on the pavement. I barely seen it coming. I was probably only going about 5 mph by time I hit the ground but from the wear marks in my gloves and on my jacket were shocking. I came out of it only a little sore. But if I was looking "cool", i would of been scraped up pretty bad.

Wear what you want, but be aware of the potential outcome of your decision.

Back