free website stats program Should I sell my full face helmet to be cool? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I sell my full face helmet to be cool?

The only issue is this; the rubbing you get from your buddies. Here is the answer. Get right back in their face and repeat after me. “I bought my Harley so I could; as all you’re shirts, patches, and decals proudly cry, LIVE FREE, so quit trying to force your opinions on me”

I agree! Don't do anything just for the reason of being cool. Do what you want and what makes you happy. If your freinds are truly friends they should respect your wishes and get off your back.

Being cool ain't gonna pay your medical bills and put food on your family's table. Sometimes, not wearing a helmet is just like putting your family on the back of the bike without a helmet. If you have an "incident", it will affect them, too. Don't compromise your beliefs and comforts.

I've always worn 1/2 or 3/4 helmets. Last year I decided to try an experiment. I usually am able to to get one or two rides a month during winter, but the most uncomfortable part of my body has always been my face. Even when using a skiers style 'turtle' that covered my neck and pulled up over my mouth and nose. I decided that I'd get a full face helmet and use that for cold weather riding. I was afraid that I'd feel claustrophobic, wouldn't be able to hear, wouldn't be able to see, all those excuses. While it took me some time to adjust to it, I now feel uncomfortable without it. I'll probably use the 1/2 helmet when the weather is in the 90's though.

I also no longer worry about whether I look cool on a Harley with a full face helmet. It's my face/head and as ugly as it is, it's the only one I have.

Like others have said, wear what makes YOU comfortable. There's too many other things to worry about when riding a bike to worry about the 'cool factor'.

added comment: With the full face helmet, I can take the windshield off of my Deuce. Now that looks cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last friday I road out to the track in the pouring rain (about an hour) with my beanie, totally (edit) glasses fogging up water running down my neck, stinging rain around my cool looking skull mask that was soaked on the inside. yes I looked very cool, good times.
The next day I wore my full face total down pour, neck bib kept me dry no fogging turning my head occasionally to run the rain off the visor. joy, very comfortable and cool.
Love my beanie on sunny days, but in the rain I think I will chose to be cool in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you like your jaws? And your lips, mouth, teeth, …? I usually wear a modular full-face helmet in a "jet" way: no protection under my nose. Now, my not-so-little son, 14, is going to begin his biker's career (well, only riding a scooter). And he is going to wear a full-face helmet. FOR SURE. Why shouldn't I do the same?
WAP.gif

It may have been mentioned in this thread before, but I did not see it...

I currently have a half helmet, but I am not sure I am comfortable with it for safety reasons. I wore nothing but full face when I rode sport bikes, but I remember how hot those were at times. And hard to sip a drink from, and hard to kiss the girl with, and so on and so on, unless you took the helmet off. Even having a conversation at a light was tough over engine noise and yelling into a flat surface an inch in front of your face.

So I looked for options. After looking at a lot of the convertible helmets I have become real interested in the Shark Evoline 2. The thing is way too expensive, and heavy, but the reviews seem to be good. People are saying the weight is not noticeable when on, and balances well when in the converted mode. Basic idea is that is goes from full face to three quarters by moving the chin bar up and behind the head. It is one of the few I found that is fully DOT approved even with the chin bar locked back. Most say to only flip the top up at a full stop, and to make sure it is locked down if the bike is moving. With the Shark you can ride in either mode and be assured that at least it was tested and approved.

Now I just need to find a place that actually carries them around Denver. I am not going to order one on-line and deal with it not being the right shape, getting the wrong size, and the hundred other issues that would cause me to have to ship it back and forth until I was happy with the feel.

So I can not endorse it directly, but it sure piqued my interest. Lots of good vids on it, so do a search and take a look if you think it might work for you.

I have always felt safer with the added protection ... I've only had two accidents on the road ...

I would say from your riding record you should wear the full face helmet and probably some body armour as well.

You can be an agressive driver in a cage but should not ride the same way and with similar attitude on your bike. Be safe, live long.

Style and safety are two different things, Modular is as far as I go, the roof Boxer is pretty great.. Wanted to buy a jet helmet some time ago but my wife mentioned casually she loved my smile.

Changed my mind instantly :)

Back