free website stats program Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership?

You have been given very good advice, you can do this yourself. I realize it can be intimidating if you aren't a mechanic, but you can do it. :s I highly recommend buying the factory service manual, I look things up for my bike quite regularly. Between the service manual, THE SEARCH FEATURE ON THIS SITE, and all of the great 'Self Help Tips' available here, (not to mention the support from this site if you have a question about something not already covered), you will be fine and you will be amazed of how simple it really is, and how much better you feel when it is completed. Here is a write up of my first experience with my oil change.

Harley Davidson Community

Since that day, I now do the routine services for my bike and my husband's bike, I completed my 10k service, (I didn't attempt hubby's 10k service, I usually take a few days to get it done so we took his to a local indy).

If you really do not want to do your own service, I would ask around about a local indy shop. I feel that they are usually more personable, they seem to do better work (I think it's usually because they are more connected with customer service, i.e. 'usually own the shop and want you to come back' kind of attitude, and in some cases, they will let you sort of hang out and watch them work. That was the case with the indy we use when I got the tires replaced on my bike, (I could probably do it, but I would rather not, and I know my husband could do it and I could help, but he doesn't want to either), so we pay the indy when it comes to tires. :s But, I wanted to see how to take the back wheel off just in case I ever needed to, so the guy at the shop took the time to show me, and explain a few things here and there and showed me a couple of great tricks for general maintenance and technics for start up, (my bike has a carb) and just a good go to place for things over my head. It's not a bad idea to have a good relationship with a local shop. Smitty has a great relationship with his dealer so that is not always a bad thing either.

I have really become a better rider since I started reading this forum because I have learned so much in what is good and more importantly what is not too good for the bike.

Take lots of pictures if you do decide to do it yourself, sometimes it helps to go back and look at them and you can see how to do things a little better the next time.

Oh yeah, if you do it yourself, you will know that you will get new o-rings, (I NEVER USE O-RINGS OVER), they are cheap, mine always look fine when I take them out after one use, but when I did my husbands service after a dealer service, his o-rings were thin and very frayed, but anytime that I have done his service, his o-rings never looked like they did after the 2 times I saw them after a dealer service. They are cheap, replace them. :s (I do keep the old ones marked in an envelope that is marked 'used' just in case we need to use them for an emergency or something) I also keep 5 or 6 new ones on hand too. :s

Good luck!

LOL, maybe it's a deuce thang. :D I'm weird like that, can't help myself. :D

Oh and don't buy your own oil and take it to a shop to have them put it in. They dislike that.

Mine had no problem with it at thye 1k checkup. I now do my own . Three holes $68 using Amsoil. The lift will pay for itself soon.

I called the local dealership, asking about the price of an engine oil change. Using whatever synthetic oil they have, the price came to about $160. Is there something incredibly complex about the oil change on a harley that warrants such cost? Would it be safe to just buy the oil and take it to a regular bike shop?

100% Syn Oil about $8-$10 per quart, O-ring about 50 cents, and oil filter $10, so materials about $40-$50...plus you learn how to do it properly and while the oil is draining you can perform any other scheduled service/maintenance items. The money you save could go towards the type of service you do not feel comfortable doing yourself. Just take your time and be patient. Get the proper service manual and take digital pictures of how things go the first time you do a new process. It helps you to note where all the fasteners and original parts were laid out.:p

As far as changing oil is concerned, if you can brush your teeth, you can change the oil.

You have us here to give advise and hopefully the factory service manual for assistance. Do it yourself and save some money.

Glider, this is great :p ... but it's true. I'm the most inept "mechanic" around but at least I can change the oil. Maybe I can't do everything, but that's what actual mechanics are for!

Glider, this is great :p ... but it's true. I'm the most inept "mechanic" around but at least I can change the oil. Maybe I can't do everything, but that's what actual mechanics are for!

You'd be surprised what you can do and don't even know it.:s

That price was for all 3. I did all 3 of mine yesterday for $70.00. All synthetic. BG and Redline.

If you have any concerns about how to do it, you can find it all on youtube. To make it easy. The primary oil can be filled through the chain inspection cover. Get a gasket. No need to pull the derby cover unless you were going to adjust the clutch.

Basically, remove plugs, drain, clean off metal shavings on the plugs. They have magnets on the end of them for just that purpose. Place a little oil on the o rings and replace. Do not over tighten.
I use an aluminum roasting pan to catch the oil. Can drain all 3 in my heritage at the same time with this pan.

Generally speaking. It's a quart of 75W/140 in the primary. A quart of redline oil that is shock rated in the tranny. It looks like pepto bismol. Then whatever engine oil you prefer.

You can drive to my house, we'll change oil (show you how) and drive back home...would still be cheaper than dealer (depending on where you live). $160 is robbery so take the HDTimeline plunge & get those hands dirty.

Back