free website stats program Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership?

It's the truth. All three oils was like $280, though that did include gaskets and a multi-point inspection, but still...

When I worked at Harley dealer this was how just a oil change priced out: 1hr at $75.00, 4qts syn 3 $48.00, chrome oil filter $13.95, Gasket drain plug $1.50,
shop supplies $2.50 plus tax at 7% = $150.82. Thats why I rec changing oil yourself and changing all 3 oil...

I had an independant shop do my 10K service a few weeks ago. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks. They took a copy of my owners manual for what the 10K service requires and put all the items in the invoice for warranty documentation if I need it. If you don't want to do it yourself you can shop around for other shops other than HD for better prices.

When I worked at Harley dealer this was how just a oil change priced out: 1hr at $75.00, 4qts syn 3 $48.00, chrome oil filter $13.95, Gasket drain plug $1.50,
shop supplies $2.50 plus tax at 7% = $150.82. Thats why I rec changing oil yourself and changing all 3 oil...

They charge for a full hour on an oil change! Even an amateur can do it in ten minutes with enough time to pick your nose in the process. It's not exactly rocket science.

Personally, I get alot of satisfaction out of doing the maintenance myself. Granted I'm still young and have alot to learn but I actually enjoy working on my bike almost as much as I like riding it.

They charge for a full hour on an oil change! Even an amateur can do it in ten minutes with enough time to pick your nose in the process. It's not exactly rocket science.

Personally, I get alot of satisfaction out of doing the maintenance myself. Granted I'm still young and have alot to learn but I actually enjoy working on my bike almost as much as I like riding it.

Could not agree more. But you are getting a certified Harley tech working on bike, a general look over, road test and possible wash. Now does that not add more value?????:swoon

Short answer is yes.

If you are not comfortable doing your own maintenance, go ahead and take it to an indy for the required maintenance. Ask local riders for their experience with the indy shops.
You could request they follow HD's recommended maintenance checks and document what's done for warranty purposes.

You'll probably make a little mess the first time, but it's worth it.
Just remember, everything's Hot as the dickens

C'mon guys, you're missing the obvious. You can always talk to some of your buddy's and ask them if they can walk you through the process. Will save you the money and teach you how it all works.

shop supplies $2.50 plus tax at 7% = $150.82.

When you lay it out in that fashion, it does make more sense. Plus with the showroom overhead and all. I guess it's just a sign of me getting old and remembering how much things were years ago.

Back