free website stats program Should I change my oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I change my oil?

I dropped my 2007 Heritage Softail Classic off at the HD dealership last weekend to have the 10K service, V&H exhaust, heavy breather, and a SE 255 cams installed along with a dyno tune. I told the dealership that I was going to change the fluids when I picked up the bike to save a little money. Planned on using Spectro synthetic oil, 6 speed transmission fluid and Spectro primary fluid. They called me today to see if I wanted to drop off the oil that I have been using in the bike since they had to drain it when the cams were changed. Since I did not have time to drive there today, I told them to use the Syn 3 since that is the only synthetic oil that they carry. Do you think that I should go ahead and dump the Syn 3 after I pick up the bike or run the bike for a while before changing it? I already have the Spectro waiting at the house.

run the syn 3 if you want you can change oil filter early(750) miles if its doing city driveing. hwy (2500)miles , syn 3 is good oil just there's better ones out there. spectro, red line makes a 20x60 syn oil. that i like for hot weather. lb

I agree here. It's not the best choice in an engine but run it for a bit and then dump it for a better oil.

Hopefully they didn't do your trans with the Syn 3 too if they did it.

The only fluid that they changed was the engine oil since they drained it to change the cams. I changed the transmission fluid a couple of hundred miles ago from Spectro to Redline Heavy and I am going to change back to the Spectro. I thought I would give the Redline a try but the transmission seems to shift much better with the Spectro and neutral is easier to find. With as thick as the Redline Heavy is, should I flush the transmission with Formula+ before using adding the Spectro? The redline seems to stick to everything. Thanks.

If you are concerned about leaving the redline trace in the Spectro oil, then your idea of a flush would be good but it's really not needed. They will mix OK. Being as fussy as I am, I probably would entertain doing the flush myself.:s

Been reading through HD talking about the fluids you guys recommend. I have just shy of 12k on my super glide. Had the 1K, 5K services done plus an engine oil change done at 8k. Just did the 10K this week. I have been using the standard oil (not synthetic) that the dealer recommends.....no up charge to synthetic. My question is are you guys recommending the synthetic fluids because you have performance modificaitons that may require a higher grade? My bike is purely stock and I ride highway 75% of the time so in my head I am thinking I am ok with the standard non synthetic oils the dealer recomments......or would you recommend going to synthetic?

Been reading through HD talking about the fluids you guys recommend. I have just shy of 12k on my super glide. Had the 1K, 5K services done plus an engine oil change done at 8k. Just did the 10K this week. I have been using the standard oil (not synthetic) that the dealer recommends.....no up charge to synthetic. My question is are you guys recommending the synthetic fluids because you have performance modificaitons that may require a higher grade? My bike is purely stock and I ride highway 75% of the time so in my head I am thinking I am ok with the standard non synthetic oils the dealer recomments......or would you recommend going to synthetic?

I would go to synthetic for 3 reasons (maybe 4) No upcharge for synthetic, bike runs cooler with synthetic, Synthetic has more wear additives to protect parts, better protection from thermal breakdown (get dino oil hot and breaks down quickly) and synthetic is more "slippery" than dino oil and get better coverage in all the nooks and crannies. JMHO.
I have a stage 1 and cam upgrade. Never thought about being a performance issue to run synthetic oil. I run it because of reasons above and I think it protects better.

Back