Should I be concerned about this ?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by scrinch, Jul 28, 2009.

1. scrinch

scrinch Active Member

Sometimes when the engine is under load, like going up a slight grade in 5th (01 RKC 5000 miles) I get a noise from the front of the engine that sounds like a chain clanking.. I thought it might be the primary but that is adjusted correctly. Anyone tell me what this noise might be ?

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

sure its not the ping of spark knock?

3. DonT1985

DonT1985 Member

It sounds like a spark knock. The fuel we get today is extremely bad. You know the 10% Ethenol. Allways use the best grade offered (high test) and shift down a lot. Take the load off the engine. Remember the new engines are roller motors. They do not like low RPM load.

4. scrinch

scrinch Active Member

I kinda wondered if that might be it, but it doesn't do it all the time on the same tank of gas. I always use at least 91 octane. and shift down when I hear it. Now I wonder if I should use an octane increaser also.??

5. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

Since your using 91 oct. - IMO - I wouldn't think you would need a octane booster.

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

You may be running a little lean in the midrange...perhaps raise the needle 1 notch or add a washer if you have a carb? Does it "rattle" or ping if you give it full throttle?

7. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

Use the 91-93 Octane Gas and like the others said, you may need to downshift when you hear/feel this happening with the Engine/Bike.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

That sounds like pinging. Try an octane booster or a different brand of fuel and downshift to 4th in that situation. All the above should work but it is a destructive thing to have happen. Try the octane booster first and if it eliminates the noise, a modification of driving habits is in order.

9. scrinch

scrinch Active Member

Thanks for the input. Off to the store.. Of course thinking about it my engine is under more load than most with sidecar drag and most of the time a woman and dog as passengers. Man, don't let her know I said that!!!

10. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

I understand the "different brand of fuel" but not the octane booster ??? If your running 91 octane - why the need for the booster? Now I might go for a fuel injector/carb cleaner -- but a booster?????