short throttle

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by hogtyd, Jan 25, 2010.

1. hogtyd

hogtyd Member

While doing the service on my 07 low rider last week, I decided to check my throttle and return cables. I locked the throttle all the way open with the wheel straight ahead then looked at the stop on the throttle body and low and behold, the stop was about a third of the travel away from the stop! This is the first time I have ever adjusted this cable. I have only 11,000 miles on this bike due to some down time from illness. I guess it has been this way since it was new. (I bought it new in 07) I can hardly wait to take her out and see if there is any difference in acceleration. I guess when you buy a new bike they look at your info for the title and if you are 60 or over they set the throttle to 2/3 travel to keep you from killing yourself.

2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

When ever I adj. throttle cables I keep adjusting little bit by little bit untill I hear the click of the throttle stop, then adj. other cable. You're going feel the difference next ride, that's for sure.

3. hogtyd

hogtyd Member

With the wheel straight or turned to left or right? I usually adjust mine till it touches and then back it off untill there is a very slight gap. That way I will never stress the cable and there is not enough to make a difference in throttle response.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Chopper and Hogtyd have you covered, I also listen to the sound of the throttle stop screw hitting the stop, and leave a bit of slack. Also check it with engine running lock to lock to make sure the throttle settings are steady or binding just to be sure.