free website stats program Short Circuit | Harley Davidson Forums

Short Circuit

motorpig12

A few nights ago I was riding home on my 07 road glide and my directionals, horn and brake light stopped working. I checked the accessory 15 amp fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and everything worked. I jumped on my bike for a ride and the fuse blew again, within 100 feet. The next day I pulled the fairing apart to look for chaffing wires, did not find any. replaced the fuse, everything worked, moved the bike and the fuse blew again within 100 feet. Today, check all the wiring from the seat back and could not find any problems. Replaced the fuse, same thing. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem or where to look? Thanks in advance

I had a problem on mine where I had pinched a wire out of the fairing to the left directional. It got pinched in between the inner and outer fairing. Not a direct short but caused erratic turn signal operation.

A few nights ago I was riding home on my 07 road glide and my directionals, horn and brake light stopped working. I checked the accessory 15 amp fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and everything worked. I jumped on my bike for a ride and the fuse blew again, within 100 feet. The next day I pulled the fairing apart to look for chaffing wires, did not find any. replaced the fuse, everything worked, moved the bike and the fuse blew again within 100 feet. Today, check all the wiring from the seat back and could not find any problems. Replaced the fuse, same thing. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem or where to look? Thanks in advance

Have you done any mods. to it lately or is it still all stock?

When the fuse blows are you touching the brake lever with the ign on or does it just blow on its own. If it blows with the brakes on check the brake circuit. Your going to have to islolete the circuit that is causing the fault.

when you start your bike is the tail light on? I'm assuming that when the fuse blows, you're not using your brakes, turn signals or horn and that's the only other thing I can think of without looking at a schematic.

Had a similiar problem 25 years ago on my Honda CB900 FA.The front brake switch developed an internal fault and everytime i applied the brake and thus operated the switch,the resultant short would blow the fuse.

Easy to check-new fuse;operate brakes and horn and lights individually.Whatever pops your fuse has a short.

One other thing, when you installed the power commander, did you possibly misplaced a wire in the seating/frame area...

Also check the "hot" wiring going to your taillight/license plate/turnsignal assemblies. They "pass" thru the rear fender and metallic wire loom/guide parallel with the tire...could be wire slipped out or cut by the loom by tire contacting it...very easy to happen. I would blow a fuse when I loaded up the bike, and found errant wire was being cut if the suspension was compressed and tire hit wire/loom.

Back