free website stats program Short-Arm riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Short-Arm riders

stubbs34

I have heard and been told that you can "bump" back the Handlebars to gain an 1" or so to help reach the Handlebars for short arm riders (like myself). Has anyone done this before and "how?" This would be on a Trike with a front fairing. Can this be done without tearing apart the fairing??

The handlebar pinch bolts can be accessed by removing the fairing cap (the plastic piece under the ign. switch, where the rocker switches are. Self help tips section has good instructions on removing/installing the ign. switch.
Rotating the handlebars MAY improve comfort for you, but also you may not like the position of your hands. In my opinion, with FLH bars, you have only about 1" either way. Harley also makes a "reach" seat for FLH's that move rider closer to bars. Sometimes you can find a good deal on ebay.

Breeze3at;
thanks for the info. you may be right about hand position. I don't want to get any closer as far as my legs, because I feel like I am siting on the tank now. Remember, I am on a 2010 TRIKE. I am short and stocky etc..... I will try the rotation of the bar and see how I feel. thanks again on "how to do it".....:newsmile057:

Your going to find that the only way to truly get the bars where you need them is to find the right set. Bars that are narrower, pull back to the rider and have a hand position that turns your wrist counter clockwise will make turning a little easier with shorter arms.

I have a 2011 TriGlige and this past year I had the Harley dealer install a handlebar that was two inches longer. The only other thing I needed was a longer clutch cable . I can now ride without having to lean forward. I rode from Phoenix to Sturgis and back and was totally comfortable with the handlebars. Ask your local dealer about handlebars with a two inch longer reach. Here is the Harley part # 56176-08

Again, thanks 08',Breeze,Behavin for the info. I will try the cheap way first and if I don't like it, then the New Bars will come next. Maybe as a x-mas present?

Back