free website stats program shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

shocks

chuck60

Can someone help me with adjusting the shocks on my 2012 softail classic. I want to increase the load ability. stone mountain said they would do it but will charge me 1 hours labor rate, I was told if you know how to do it, it's a 15 min. job, not worth paying them 100 bucks. The manual is not real clear, at least not to me. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Charlie

Hi Charlie,
It's very simple once you do it. First buy the tool at steelers or see if you can borrow one from a friend, they cost 10 bucks plus change. Look under the bike at the front of the shocks . There will be a plate with holes for the wrench to fit in. Make the position of each plate. There is a lock nut on each plate and you use the small end to turn them loose. Back off the nuts a few turns and insert the larger end of the tool that looks like a fork into the holes on the plate. turn each one the equal turns. I did mine one turn each and I was happy with that. If you want a stiffer ride turn the plate the other way! Your manual will tell you which way is soft or stiff. Hope this helps you!:60:
Crusty61

From my manual
"Turning the adjuster plates out (toward locknut) increases the spring preload to carry a heavier load"
"Turning the adjuster plates in (away from the locknut) decreases the spring preload to carry a lighter load"

The vehicle should be resting on the jiffy stand. Loosen the jam nut and proceed as above. You will need a spanner wrench HD part no. 94455-89
Good luck!

From my manual
"Turning the adjuster plates out (toward locknut) increases the spring preload to carry a heavier load"
"Turning the adjuster plates in (away from the locknut) decreases the spring preload to carry a lighter load"

The vehicle should be resting on the jiffy stand. Loosen the jam nut and proceed as above. You will need a spanner wrench HD part no. 94455-89
Good luck!

Do they want you to do a complete turn per setting ?

Do they want you to do a complete turn per setting ?

There are hole on the adjuster plate to be able to track the amount of adjustment. There is nothing indicated in the manual which states how far in or out the adjustment should be. For my softail I adjusted them to the point the bike no longer bottomed out when riding 2 up

There are hole on the adjuster plate to be able to track the amount of adjustment. There is nothing indicated in the manual which states how far in or out the adjustment should be. For my softail I adjusted them to the point the bike no longer bottomed out when riding 2 up

One more ? do you turn them both the same way ( direction ) I want to make sure I do this correctly, my wife will be on the bike. Thanks, Charlie

Both the same amount and the same way. I would try 1/2 turn increments.

Thanks all for the help, it took about15mins to do. I have 1thread showing so to that means I can carry plenty of weight, is this correct.
WAP.gif

Back