Shocked by plug wire...

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Mavagrand, Aug 20, 2011.

  1. Mavagrand

    Mavagrand Senior Member

    1,250
    48
    12
    I removed my plugs the other day for service. While riding today, I reached down touching the rear plug wire. My intention was just to make sure it was seated good, soon as I did that ...POW..she bit me. Got a big shock. The bike is running fine, voltage meter reads like it should, she didn't stall or sputter or nothing. Is it time to replace my plug wires? Is this normal?
     
  2. TQuentin1

    TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

    4,630
    68
    99
    Inspect that plug wire carefully. Either it was not seated, or you have a cut/hole in the insulation. I would suggest just replacing the wires.

    TQ
     
  3. glider

    glider Veteran Member

    25,464
    108
    44
    As TQ mentioned, I would replace them too. There has to be a source for the shock like a cut or pin hole. Maybe just that they have been yanked at one time and caused a break in the insulation.
     
  4. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Expert Member

    18,544
    153
    398
    Plug wires are cheap insurance IMO, use some Napa Sylglide on the connections for a water tight seal. Heat and UV index here in Florida is the destroyer of plug wires:s Harley Davidson Community
     
  5. Mavagrand

    Mavagrand Senior Member

    1,250
    48
    12
    Went to the dealer and bought some replacement wires. The stock ones are on $7/a piece. Of course, they didn't have those in stock so I bought a set of Screaming Eagle plug wires for $19.00. Thanx for the helpl guys.
     
  6. HarryB737

    HarryB737 Junior Member

    656
    26
    1
    You'll like those SE plug wires... Thicker & less chance of tracking. I have a set on my Heritage.
     
  7. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Expert Member

    18,544
    153
    398
    I have the Red ones on my Bob, got them as a gift, Like the fat wires:s
     
  8. wilks3

    wilks3 Junior Member

    623
    0
    1
    Do the thicker SE wires mess up the Ion system? Is the guts the same resistance as stock wires?
    This seems like Deja Vue???
    wilks3
    :USA
     
  9. NEWHD74FAN

    NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

    8,176
    98
    16
    Even though the insulation is thicker and more pliable silicone, the internal conductors are still carbon impregnated fibers with monofiliament wrap for flexibility and strength. May use Kevlar or exotic carbon fiber for strength, but electrically the same resistance to help suppress spark noise. So you pay mainly for the "look"...stock wires are just fine, SE or even metallic looking ones are "trick", no effect on ion sensing.
     
  10. R_W_B

    R_W_B Senior Member

    2,425
    0
    23
    Well all these replies are interesting, I guess I've always had bad plug wires on my vehicles. Cause as far back as I can remember I always got shocked messing with plug wires while the motor was running. When I was a teenager I used to work partime in my Uncles automotive shop and he had a special set of plug pliers to remove the boot from the plug while running. We used to check for spark that way, just grab it with the pliers and hold it a little ways away from the plug and you would see an arcing spark.
    But try it without the pllers and it felt like someone had a rope embedded inside your arm muscles and suddenly jerking it tight.