free website stats program Shock Bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Shock Bolt

rebels1

Greetings fellow riders, Ok let me set this up for you. The date is Aug 29 ,2009 ,my wife and I decide to go for a ride ,we are 0n interstate 65 south at about mile marker 103 .And we are tooling along at 75 mph ,everthing is going well Until I feel the rear of the bike drop down the least little bit. First thing I did was to pull off the road ,and kill the engine . At first thought I had a flat tire ,got off the bike looked at the tire ,it looked ok . Gave the tire a little kick ,still hard as a rock . As I pressed down on the luggage rack ,something caught my eye near the left rear shock. The more I looked at it the Bolt that holds the top of the shock to the bike had sheared off ,and with futher exam noted the eye of the shock was also bent . We ride 2 up alot ,and could not remember hitting a bump or anything that would have caused that to happen,and we both do not weigh enough to cause that .We were not even carrying any luggage . And to make matters worse we had to wait 2 hours for a friend of mine to get a trailer and come pick us up. And the real kicker was that ,over a dozen bikes passed us and not one of them stopped to see if they could help out. What's up with that !!!!!!!?reguardless if I am on my bike or not I ALWAYS Stop to see if I can be of help . OK if anyone of you fine fellow riders ,have any imput or causes that caused the bolt to shear off .Feel free to chime in .
Thanks in advance!!!

Improperly adjusted shocks for the load (no pun) being carried. With 2 up you should be up near the top (hard or compressed) setting on the spring to prevent bottoming the shock out. Worst case scenario, you may need a stiffer spring for your riding style.

:) Not to sound like (EDIT), but over the years,of pulling over to see if a other brother was down on his luck,i have almost been rear ended, or side swiped, becaues the cager was looking over to see what was going on also..so when i hear others,saying they are broke down,and knowone stops,,to many are just streaching their legs,taking pictures,..what we do around here is hang a bandana off your left mirror, then we and a lot others know you are having trouble..now to the shock bolt,that happen just last year,on my 05 RG, i have the right amount of air,and we are only 300 lbs combined. just must of been a bad bolt, yet i replaced both with 316 grade stainless, and have not had any more problems,and i do check,them all the time. :small3d015:

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one shear off on my '06 Street Bob. Not sure if it was oem bolt as the prior owner had progressives installed. I replaced both sides with grade 8's.

It might of got bent after it broke. maybe the shock got forced up after the bolt broke and hit somthing. Was that a stock shock bolt?

Back