free website stats program Shock absorber squeak | Harley Davidson Forums

Shock absorber squeak

Dswartz

I have noticed a squeak coming from the rear shock absorber on my '02 Superglide. It sounds like it is only coming from the left side. I don't notice at all when I am riding, only when I get on and off the bike or bounce it up and down slightly. I took a good look at the shock and nothing is leaking and the rubber bushings are in good shape. The service manual states that there are no repairs possible on the shock and it has to be replaced as a whole unit. Is this something that is normal or should I be concerned about it? Do you guys think the shock needs to be replaced? Like I said it still rides just fine.

Sometimes it can be something like a bit of dirt causing the noise. Try a can of silicone lube and spray the shock, if it still squeaks you may want to remove it and clean and spray the mounting grommets too.

It's pretty easy to remove just one shock. My Dyna had seized the shock eye to the bolt in just 2 years. Yours could be dry. Slip the shock off (or part way) and lube the shock bolts. And like Glider suggested, spray some silicone around, it's easy to wash off the excess.

Check the belt tension and check for debris as long as you are on the side of the bike, as Glider and Breeze said some spray silicone lube should take care of the noise. Have a close look at the springs to be sure they are not collapsed and rubbing:s

Back