free website stats program shifting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting problems

1ironhead

when I shift up I have to pull all the way up hard to go in gear but when I shift down all I do is touch it down and it goes into gear. would any one have any ideal ? its a 1974 flh 4 speed hd

when I shift up I have to pull all the way up hard to go in gear but when I shift down all I do is touch it down and it goes into gear. would any one have any ideal ? its a 1974 flh 4 speed hd

Have you got "toe/heel" shift levers on the left side? Is the "heel" lever making contact with the floorboard when you shift up with your toe? If so, loosen the "heel" lever and move it up one spline tooth (better yet, take it off if you don't use it).

TQ

Check that the shift arm on the transmission is not hitting or binding on anything on UP shifts, then check other parts of the shift linkage going to the footboard levers for rubbing or binding. If you don't see anything, disconnect the linkage at some point, and move all parts by hand. If all is free on the above, your problem
is inside the trans., many possible problems.

This is a ratchet tranny? Take the linkage off at the ratchet and check for end play, see how it shifts up and down with the linkage off

Have you had this problem for awhile or is it just started, because it could be a problem in the ratchet mec. a broke spring, a bent shifter fork ,detent sticking or to much play in the shifter barrel

Do what jack said. I have a friend and the bearings had went bad. He replaced and that took care of the problem. He has a dyna.
WAP.gif

Back