free website stats program shifting problem .. | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting problem ..

well, after i got my new bike , 2010 hd ultra classic with 19000 m, i saw a leak in my garage the first weekend after purchasing it. put new oil in all holes, check the belt, cause i bought from a shop without warranty. after investigation the stator was leaking , so i checked all forums , and put prematex but still sipping just litle, . rode the bike for 90 miles , came back and notice that shifter shat seal has oil there .
anyway , went to stealer got new stator and shifter shaft seal with bearing seal and new bolts.
yesterday start tearing her down and couldn't grab the the assembly (primary chain, compensating sprocket and clutch assembly), so i used the 3 jaw on clutch assembly and voila, took the whole assembly out, the inner ...change the seal on shifter shaft, change the bearing seal on the inner put new stator, bolt it. put everything back together as the service book stated. adjust the belt , and the clutch lever.
I didnt put any oil on primary yet. but tried to shift while on stand, it shift from first to second , i can go back neutral but i cant shift to the 3rd and up. then thought i might tight too hard the clutch adjuster , no help either, took off the shifter link and tried to shift just by hand on shiter , same thin , it shift up to second...:(

what i did wrong? can someone help me plz. thanks

Clutch adjustment is the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe the ball came off the ramp on the end if the clutch cable?

was thinking to open the transmission cover and check there, but want to make sure that i didnt do something wrong or need some adjustment on primary that i dont know about. thanks

If you have the service manual, check primary chain tension and adjust clutch by the book. What happens then?

You will find that most motorcycles regardless of brand with out running you may only get a couple of gear changes and not the full shift pattern. So quite possible you have done nothing incorrectly other than filling oil and starting bike up.

Check this out:
Harley Davidson Forums

Double check the adjustments, get your fluids right, start it, check for leak and then see what happens. If everything looks good, ride and see what the transmission does. What dbmg says is true.

NO i didnt spin the rear tire at all till i find out it wont shift and adsjust the clutch second time, then i did spin it after that to make sure i was in Neutral :)

Back