free website stats program shifting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting issues

rikibo

suddenly and without warning a "slack" has appeared when i am shifting, ie when i drop to 1st i have to "raise" to shifter, likewise as i up-shift i have to manually "lower" the shifter to change to next gear. Anyone could tell me why? :51:

suddenly and without warning a "slack" has appeared when i am shifting, ie when i drop to 1st i have to "raise" to shifter, likewise as i up-shift i have to manually "lower" the shifter to change to next gear. Anyone could tell me why? :51:

Hmmm. I am not following exactly what you are describing? You are talking about raising and lowering the foot shifter, right? Please describe the problem again.

Thanx.

Cheers,

TQ

TQ I think he is trying to say that the shifter is not returning to centre after he has shifted

Brian

TQ I think he is trying to say that the shifter is not returning to centre after he has shifted

Ahh. Make sense.

So carefully check the shifter arm on the tranny end and ensure that it is not stripping out. This is a very maddening problem if you have it, since the primary has to be disassembled and the inner primary removed just to replace the shifter arm. Having said that, there is an aftermarket solution that does not require disassembly of the primary and removing the inner primary. See here:

Buehler Concept and Design :

If this is not the problem, check the foot shifter end to make sure that end is not stripping. This is far easier to fix.

If neither of these are the problem, then it may be a broken spring (hope not!!).

Let us know what you find with the shifter ends.

Cheers,

TQ

TQ as it is a 94 sportster it is a different setup from the big twins but it could be one of 3 springs on the shifter assembly
As I have not been in that far on the sportster to know what each of the springs do I just see them in the parts list and have read through the Clymer manual it does not say what the springs do so perhaps we need someone that has knowledge of the sportster shifter assembly to come along and help

Brian

Brian
ty brian,that is what i am saying, not returning to center, checked the linkages, forward controls with front welded and rear i thought was slipping, made sure was secure but still issue persists
:sd

Ooops. Missed the fact that the bike is a Sporty. Out of my wheelhouse.

Good luck.

Cheers,

TQ

Ahh. Make sense.

So carefully check the shifter arm on the tranny end and ensure that it is not stripping out. This is a very maddening problem if you have it, since the primary has to be disassembled and the inner primary removed just to replace the shifter arm. Having said that, there is an aftermarket solution that does not require disassembly of the primary and removing the inner primary. See here:

If this is not the problem, check the foot shifter end to make sure that end is not stripping. This is far easier to fix.

If neither of these are the problem, then it may be a broken spring (hope not!!).

Let us know what you find with the shifter ends.

Cheers,

TQ
ty TQ, i think my linkages are all secure, i presume the spring you refer to is internal from the shifting shaft as that seems to be where the return to center is not taking place, what do i do there? :coffee

do i risk further damage using it with this impedance? I have forward controls and it IS uncomfortable to say the least, but i dont want to cause further damage

The 3 springs fin 676 talks about are in the inner primary. Take off the outer primary and you can see them, They are the unit that rotates the shifter drum for different gears. There is an adjustment when you pull it out and replace it. You may have to pull the clutch out to get it out. It stays together as a unit. 2 bolts and it's out.
tourbox

Back