free website stats program Shifting is GREAT aftr HD Svc Maint. Then gets sloppy with use. Help! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting is GREAT aftr HD Svc Maint. Then gets sloppy with use. Help!

How many miles were put on the bike FROM the HD service where the bike Shifted Smoothly????

If you have put on some miles and it isn't an Over-Night thing.... It is Probably Needs a Clutch adjustment OR a Minor Clutch Cable adjustment..

Look at your clutch handle (no need to start) and see HOW MUCH free play between the handle and the stop .... here is how to check...LIGHTLY squeeze the handle until it stops LIGHTLY against the clutch (one finger Lightly will move clutch handle for this check)..... (free play) Look to see the OPEN distance ,,,, It should be NO MORE than an 1/8 of an inch and 1/16" is minimum... IF it is more then !/8" the cable adjustment Needs to "Take Out the Slack" ...

This properly adjusted, will Help the Clutch Disks OPEN More Apart and make the shifting EASIER....

Check this dimention out and get back for Further Information..

If the space was like 3/8" or even More,,, This is the problem.....

signed....BUBBIE

Answers:
After HD Service, it took many miles. How many I do not know but it is NOT overngiht.

Clutch handle set perfectly as u noted above.

Issue is not the hand/clutch. But with foot. When foot shifts, it snaps into next gear sharp/cleanly. finds neutral 1st time everytime.

After many miles, the foot, shifting gets sloppy. Often hard to get into neutral. Until I bring it in for a maintenance service. Then afterwards works GREAT again.

BTW, THANKS for sending me to self help (you linked me there) and the videos. VERY helpful! GREATLY appreciate ur time and effort.

You, GLIDER, 'n the others very helpful and accommodating.

In 1 video saw where DERBY cover comes off and make adjustment with nut/alien video. (Not well said, I think u know what I mean.) Maybe that is it?? That would bring sloppy gears and hard to find neutral to working perfectly again?

BuzzCap7

How many miles were put on the bike FROM the HD service where the bike Shifted Smoothly????

If you have put on some miles and it isn't an Over-Night thing.... It is Probably Needs a Clutch adjustment OR a Minor Clutch Cable adjustment..

Look at your clutch handle (no need to start) and see HOW MUCH free play between the handle and the stop .... here is how to check...LIGHTLY squeeze the handle until it stops LIGHTLY against the clutch (one finger Lightly will move clutch handle for this check)..... (free play) Look to see the OPEN distance ,,,, It should be NO MORE than an 1/8 of an inch and 1/16" is minimum... IF it is more then !/8" the cable adjustment Needs to "Take Out the Slack" ...

This properly adjusted, will Help the Clutch Disks OPEN More Apart and make the shifting EASIER....

Check this dimention out and get back for Further Information..

If the space was like 3/8" or even More,,, This is the problem.....

signed....BUBBIE

(I hope I did not answer this twice. I did once but could not find it here.)
Answers:
The cable adjustment was not needed. It was perfect to your specs and gliders.

From HD Service, it is MANY miles before the FOOT shifting goes from sharp, snapping from 1 gear to another and fiding neutral easily to sloppy and sometimes tough to find neutral.

The issue is with the FOOT shifting NOT the hand/clutch.

I saw the Clutch Pack video. Does that adjustment make the gears with FOOT use/shifting make the gears click perfectly from 1 to another? Is that what the clutch pack adjusts?

THANK YOU and glider and everyone else who has helped me here.

Also glider I think it was helped me find the Se;f Help and it is greatly appreciated!!

THANKS TO ALL!!

BuzzCap7

Probably one of the first things to do is to drop the fluid in the tranny and primary and refill with a Premium GL-5 FULL Synthetic 75W-140 gear lube in the tranny and HD Formula + or Spectro Primary in the Primary. That way you will know what is in these. Then do the clutch adjustment procedure specified in the Self-Help areas. Once back on the road, do the procedure found in the Self-Help pages on tightening the primary chain tensioner.

TQ

Last edited:
Probably one of the first things to do is to drop the fluid in the tranny and primary and refill with a Premium GL-5 FULL Synthetic 75W-140 gear lube in the tranny and HD Formula + or Spectro Primary in the Primary. That way you will know what is in these. Then do the clutch adjustment procedure specified in the Self-Help areas. Once back on the road, do the procedure found in the Self-Help pages on tightening the primary chain tensioner.

TQ

What he said as far as the different fluids. When I switched to 'different' synthetic fluids in my Ultra, it was quieter, shifted smoother, can find neutral easier. I would not use the HD formula+ in the primary though, I used it once and there are better things, like the Spectro he mentioned.

(I hope I did not answer this twice. I did once but could not find it here.)
Answers:
The cable adjustment was not needed. It was perfect to your specs and gliders.

From HD Service, it is MANY miles before the FOOT shifting goes from sharp, snapping from 1 gear to another and fiding neutral easily to sloppy and sometimes tough to find neutral.

The issue is with the FOOT shifting NOT the hand/clutch.

I saw the Clutch Pack video. Does that adjustment make the gears with FOOT use/shifting make the gears click perfectly from 1 to another? Is that what the clutch pack adjusts?

THANK YOU and glider and everyone else who has helped me here.

Also glider I think it was helped me find the Se;f Help and it is greatly appreciated!!

THANKS TO ALL!!

BuzzCap7

BuzzCap,

The Clutch handle adjustment Is Important for quality shifting. The clutch adjustment is also important .. Between these TWO properly adjusted, and Good quality Lubricant and Properly Filled, the bike should be smooth shifting.
The shifting on the foot lever is Only a Shifter and we Know that isn't a problem with that New of a bike ..

I also ride a 09 FLHR and Never have to adjust anything like you mention they have too.... My clutch Once in 10,000 miles and the clutch handle Cable clearance twice... And I ride a lot.

I'd suggest to ASK the HD shop What they are doing to your bike to make it shift Smooth. AND why it needs it at each service?

Then We'll both know..

TQ1 is giving you good advice here also.. After all is said and done YOU'LL be able to do your Own maintenance... And save $$$$$$$

Note to Mr.Glider
the Bla bla was Referring to MY Badly written Post..Pheeew... only what i put on My post...Nothing to do with the Bla bla on Your post.....

YOU the man for the Good Bla bla.. and your post Gave the Needed LINK. TNKS...:D

Boy I've had a tough day at it, All My Doing. MY posting here showed it..

Hope it will improve with Age ,,, not Diminish...:newsmile026:

signed....BUBBIE

Back