free website stats program Shifting is GREAT aftr HD Svc Maint. Then gets sloppy with use. Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting is GREAT aftr HD Svc Maint. Then gets sloppy with use. Help!

BuzzCap7

After HD does a service maintenance on my bike ('09 Ultra Classic) the gears SNAP in beautifully gear to gear and into neutral. After many miles later they get sloppy. The gears do not SNAP into place cleanly and getting into neutral is sometimes difficult.

I would like to do whatever HD does so they SNAP into gear and neutral between scheduled maintenance with them.

Here is the tough part. I am totally ignorant on how to work on the gears. 100% dumb. Is there a video tape? Someone I can watch fix this (I am in S.E. Florida). I am stupid when it comes to technical terminology. Do virtually NO work on my own bike.

Should I just throw in the towel and have HD adjust it ever so often between maintenances?

Thank you in advance!

BuzzCap7

After HD does a service maintenance on my bike ('09 Ultra Classic) the gears SNAP in beautifully gear to gear and into neutral. After many miles later they get sloppy. The gears do not SNAP into place cleanly and getting into neutral is sometimes difficult.

I would like to do whatever HD does so they SNAP into gear and neutral between scheduled maintenance with them.

Here is the tough part. I am totally ignorant on how to work on the gears. 100% dumb. Is there a video tape? Someone I can watch fix this (I am in S.E. Florida). I am stupid when it comes to technical terminology. Do virtually NO work on my own bike.

Should I just throw in the towel and have HD adjust it ever so often between maintenances?

Thank you in advance!

BuzzCap7

Usually when it is a problem with shifting, it is either a problem with primary chain or clutch adjustment. Do you have a manual? If you can read and know the difference between clockwise and counter clockwise, you can learn to do routine maintenance on your cycle. Be patient, take your time, don't buy cheap tools, pay attention to things when taking them apart. This forum is full of people that will go above and beyond to make sure you get all the help you need to do everything right on your bike. All you have to do is ask!!

Usually when it is a problem with shifting, it is either a problem with primary chain or clutch adjustment. Do you have a manual? If you can read and know the difference between clockwise and counter clockwise, you can learn to do routine maintenance on your cycle. Be patient, take your time, don't buy cheap tools, pay attention to things when taking them apart. This forum is full of people that will go above and beyond to make sure you get all the help you need to do everything right on your bike. All you have to do is ask!!

Yes, I am very impressed with help in the past. This is a great place to know abt.

No repair manual. Just Manuals from original purchase brand new.

Clockwise and counterclockwise....I am good at that.

Primary Chain/Clutch Adjustment.....is there a video or some way I can learn abt this stuff? Or do I need to go to HD school. Assuming there is one.

BuzzCap7

Like you I didn't know much about servicing my bike. Until I joined HD Talking. Now I do all my own servicing. Check the Self Help section. Most of what you need to know can be found there. And you can find lots of videos on You Tube. And if you ever are unsure and have questions, just ask. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here that will help you. And you'll get lots of satisfaction working on your bike yourself.

Go buy the service manual for your bike. I have the h/d edition and it is very thurough. The money you spend on the manual and tools will pay for itself in the near future. There are a few posts in here that will show you in general how to adjust the clutch and primary, but might not be specific to your model. Worth it to get your model specific manual for this. As far as I know, you may have an automatic primary tensioner, and if that is the case, there is a trick to getting that to adjust properly while riding it. There is a link to that here somewhere in the self help section. Something about getting the bike up to about 30 mph and then closing the throttle so the motor slows the bike down. Repeating a few times. If its not an automatic tensioner, you have to open the access cover, loosen bolt and adjust to specs which vary if the bike is hot or cold.
I wish I could help more, but the one thing I will stress, even if you will never do any work on your own bike, you should have the shop mannual. There is a lot of good things to know in there, and it never hurts to have an understanding of what the mechanics are doing. I am not a big 'reader' but have gone through every page of the shop manuals for both my bikes.

How many miles were put on the bike FROM the HD service where the bike Shifted Smoothly????

If you have put on some miles and it isn't an Over-Night thing.... It is Probably Needs a Clutch adjustment OR a Minor Clutch Cable adjustment..

Look at your clutch handle (no need to start) and see HOW MUCH free play between the handle and the stop .... here is how to check...LIGHTLY squeeze the handle until it stops LIGHTLY against the clutch (one finger Lightly will move clutch handle for this check)..... (free play) Look to see the OPEN distance ,,,, It should be NO MORE than an 1/8 of an inch and 1/16" is minimum... IF it is more then !/8" the cable adjustment Needs to "Take Out the Slack" ...

This properly adjusted, will Help the Clutch Disks OPEN More Apart and make the shifting EASIER....

Check this dimention out and get back for Further Information..

If the space was like 3/8" or even More,,, This is the problem.....

signed....BUBBIE

BuzzCap7

Browse through this section of the self help area. There are many videos and tech tips on just what you want to know. Pick up a factory service manual too.

Transmission,Clutch and Primary (Drive Train) - Harley Davidson Community

You can do it, start slow, watch videos. If in doubt, STOP, ask somebody here. They will for sure walk you through it.
wilks3

Pull the clutch cable away from the clutch handle unit to see the clearance in between the cable ferrel and the stop....
(clutch free play) Look to see the OPEN distance ,,,, It should be NO MORE than an 1/8 of an inch and 1/16" is minimum... IF it is more then !/8" the cable adjustment Needs to "Take Out the Slack" ...

look at gliders Post and Click on and scroll 3/4 page down to "Clutch Free Play"

this is all the Bla bla I tried to say,,, But made easy to under stand there.. and with Picture.

signed....BUBBIE

As mentioned before, you would be surprised at what you will find yourself doing with the help of this site. :s

Back