free website stats program shifting into 6th | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting into 6th

Jeffburke

I know this issue has prob. been covered many times, but I would like some assurance. I ride a 09 dyna street bob, and without a tach, 5th gear at 60-65 mph seems like the motor is screaming. My brother shifts his fatbob into 6th at around 70-75. He claims any less and his motor lugs. Our trans. gear ratios are exact same. Diff. tire size though. Both cruising down interstate in 6th gear at 75-80mph. his purrs along, while mine screams as if its turning 5k. Would tire size make that big of difference? Or should I not even worry about it and just ride it how I want to? If it was an issue you would think tachometers would be standard equip. on every Harley sold.

Generally speaking shifting into 6th should be at about 70MPH.

Your engine will tell you when to shift.

I have no problem going to 65th at 55-60. This is running one up in realtively flat terrain. I also have no problem delaying the shift to 65-70. I would imagine this might be different riding two up or with a heavier touring model. I normally will downshift to 5th if I need any type of acceleration or certainly if I encounter a grade under 70.

I don't know about the tire size difference but here is something you can try that is cheap and simple. Get a piece of chalk and make a mark on the side of your tire at the bottom and another mark on the pavement. Roll the bike straight ahead until the mark comes back around to the bottom then mark the pavement. Measure the the distance between the two marks then do the same with your brother's bike. This will give you a down a dirty not exact number as to which bike goes farther per wheel revolution. Tire pressure and temperature can affect this at speed but you can get an idea.

Another thing is have you tried switching bikes? This could be a perception issue and how each of you sense the engine speed. I wish I had a tach but even so, I would go by how it feels rather than the rpm the tach shows. I don't get anywhere near redline so it would be a curiosity thing and another distraction that I don't need.

I don't remember if your bikes are stock but different pipes and tuning could also make them behave different. Lugging is a very bad thing to be avoided at all times so it might be safer to "err" on the high side by delaying the shift until a higher speed.

I don't know about the tire size difference but here is something you can try that is cheap and simple. Get a piece of chalk and make a mark on the side of your tire at the bottom and another mark on the pavement. Roll the bike straight ahead until the mark comes back around to the bottom then mark the pavement. Measure the the distance between the two marks then do the same with your brother's bike. This will give you a down a dirty not exact number as to which bike goes farther per wheel revolution. Tire pressure and temperature can affect this at speed but you can get an idea.

Or have a look on the sidewall of the tire. It should state the size there, or am I wrong?

For me on mostly flat roads:

30-39mph = 3rd gear
40-49mph = 4th gear
50-59mph = 5th gear
60+mph = 6th gear

Makes it easy for this old brain to remember.

thanks to everybody. Im prob. just bein too cautious and should just ride and enjoy this fine machine. I'll just shift upon feel and not worry so much. Sounds like Hobbit tears up the roads over there in his part of the world! awesome vid, man. I know its not you, but I bet you could take him!

I have a 2008 street glide. My wife has a 2009 street Bob. I installed a tach to help her time her shifts. While riding, she tells me what she is running and what rpm. it usually matches my SG pretty close.

Back