free website stats program shifter shaft spline worn | Harley Davidson Forums

shifter shaft spline worn

shovelhed

does anyone know if the inner primary needs to be removed to replace the shifter shaft on a 03 road king. the spline is worn were the front (inner) lever sits on shaft.

Welcome to THE forum. If you are referring to the front, inboard shift lever that connects to the shaft and then to your actual foot levers, than no you do not have to remove the inner primary. Just remove shift shaft that goes back to the rear shift lever, loosen the allen bolt on the inner front shift lever, remove outer foot levers and slide the shaft out.
Be sure to check the bushings in the hole the shaft goes in. When they wear it causes undue stress on the whole system. Clean shaft and slide it back in and check for play. If you have any you may consider new bushings. Use some never seize or some good grease on re-assembly. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bodeen

I think he is actually talking about the shift arm attached to the shaft coming out of the trans. You can get to it but it is a much easier job if you remove the inner primary.

I just encountered this with my 99 Road King. My rear shifter arm was quite loose but still functioned. Probably not for too much longer. I tried to tighten down the screw but it didn't move. I was aware of the item Glider showed us and probably be my next step. The bolt had so little movement I thought there was a chance it was just bottoming out. So I removed it and introduced it to my grinding wheel and took a little off the top....reinstalled it Good as New. Worth a shot. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It is the front shaft.I removed the allen bolt and slid the shaft out. Splines are very worn. Will be getting new shaft.
shaft had little to no play in housing. bushings looked good. will clean and thinking about installing a grease fitting in the housing. by the way I did know about the better lever for the rear shaft. Looks like a good fix if needed.
Thanks again

Always try to give as much input when posting about a problem. There was no indication that you were referring to the front shaft but it's no big deal anyway being you figured it out.

does anyone know if the inner primary needs to be removed to replace the shifter shaft on a 03 road king. the spline is worn were the front (inner) lever sits on shaft.

I thought I had it understood. It was early but I had some coffee in me already. He did say "front".

Glad you got it figured out and certainly be thankful it wasn't the back one. It's a job unless you get the deal that Glider posted about but I think he is not doing business right now anyway (out of stock).

Bodeen

Sorry Boss...........

Back