shifter not springing back

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by bilchr, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bilchr

bilchr Member

My 2003 xl 1200c has lost a spring or something in shift mechanism, when I shift it doesn't come back to the inbetween position by itself, Being I live on an island in s.e. alaska and there are no dealers close by, does any one know how complicated it may be for me to remove the side cover and fix this myself?
    Bill

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. airdrie

airdrie Member

The grease in your shifter shaft may have been worn/washed away. I had the same problem last year and had to remove my shifter pegs and pull out the shifter shaft they connect to. Once I cleaned the shaft and covered it again with grease and put it back, I was smooth shifting again.

3. bilchr

bilchr Member

okay now I don't mean to sound dumb and I really appreciate any helpyou can give me what do you mean by shifter pegs? obviously I need to pull drive chain cover? then maybe I'll see what they are?

4. rancid

rancid Active Member

take the shift lever off and take the shaft it splines onto out, re grease the shaft and install new o-rings.

5. bilchr

bilchr Member

Okay! greased and lubricated shifter at all connections and it worked thanks for help!