free website stats program Shifter Falling Off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Falling Off

Threads on the spline are most likely worn, I replaced mine with an Arlen Ness billet shifter. Have had no problem since and the feel is much more solid.

A wave washer on the shaft works okay to reduce much of the vibration of the shifter lever. Mine was so worn, I used a thin flat washer and a wave washer. If the engine ever has to come apart, then a bushing would have to be installed on the case to tighten up the shaft. If Harley doesn't have such a part, I'll have one made.

The other problem here as well is the difference between the two metals involved, the shafts are always steel and shifter levers...billet aluminum. Plays hell with the spines after awhile.

Keeping them tight is the KEY to anti wear... Once a little loose then a-lot-of will show up...

Trimming out the Touching "NO space Pinch" with a Hack-saw to Open it up again on the stretched touching material, taking Out the tightening space,
SAW OUT, then re-tighten,,, Helps to make it like new again...:60:

signed....BUBBIE

As the OP found out, this is one of the places where hardware store utility tools just don't cut it. The answer was given with the recommendation of the socket wrench type allen wrench bit and a torque wrench handle. Given that the clamp bolts are kept tight the factory parts in the shift linkage (not including the ball joints) will last the life of the machine. Check the shift arm on the transmission! If it strips, it is a pita to change, especially on older machines. The owner's manual cautions not to use excessive force on the shift mechanism or damage WILL occur. Spline damage on the levers must be part of what they are talking about.

quit stomping on the shifter.. pretty simple.... red bearing locktite.....what others said removing some of the pinch area......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back