free website stats program Shifter arm leakage problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter arm leakage problems

91scott

I’m new to you forum, Hello all ; I have a 1992 Heritage Softail Classic mostly all original. A couple of day ago I rode home from work it was colder than I expected, it was 32 degrees (the weather man was wrong ?) and my gloved hand were very cold I could barely pull it the clutch, so unless I needed to I didn’t, but when I had to, I pulled the has hard as could and downshift to get home. The next day I climbed on broad and found the shifter just flopped around after I put it in gear, it seem to “lock” into position like it normally, I depressed the clutch handle and it seems ok I’m not sure where to look? Any Ideas

The shifter is clamped onto a splined shaft. The shifter clamp screw may just be loose or the splines are stripped or both.
Note you need to take the clamp screw all the way out to remove shifter to inspect (there is a groove on the shaft).

I just check the bolt in the clamp and its tight. When I move the shifter into any gear, it just falls out of it, like there nothing holding it in the correct position. Somebody suggested to adjust my clutch cable....see how that works Thanks for reply

I just check the bolt in the clamp and its tight. When I move the shifter into any gear, it just falls out of it, like there nothing holding it in the correct position. Somebody suggested to adjust my clutch cable....see how that works Thanks for reply

Are you are saying the Gear doesn't stay in Gear when shifted or the shifter doesn't stay in the middle correct position?

IF the shifter isn't staying into the center position it probably is a problem in the tranny...

signed....BUBBIE

Are you are saying the Gear doesn't stay in Gear when shifted or the shifter doesn't stay in the middle correct position?

IF the shifter isn't staying into the center position it probably is a problem in the tranny...

ADDED:

Doesn't that tranny have a spring and ball to hold shifter into the correct position?

signed....BUBBIE

Others will answer here also please.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not quite understand, is the tranny going into gear and the lever not returning? This has been a problem when the shifter return spring inside the 5 speed breaks

HD91FLHT012.gif

See # 59

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove it about two blocks, it never jumped out of gear, its the shift pedal that's not right....You put it in gear, the shifter shouldn't move until you bump it up or down, now it feels like the ratchet gone.

I drove it about two blocks, it never jumped out of gear, its the shift pedal that's not right....You put it in gear, the shifter shouldn't move until you bump it up or down, now it feels like the ratchet gone.

Can you verify the linkage arm on tranny is not slipping?

So I'm looking at the manual, aka shifter arm assembly, I guessing one of spring had babies (two more piece's of spring) So I got to remove the oil tank and maybe rear exhaust to get to the tranny, it should just under the cover? anything else I can try before that?

Check the tranny arm that the linkage attaches to, the bolt sometimes comes loose and the arm will get sloppy and move on the shaft. Do a wiggle test and see if you get any movement on the shaft.

Back