shift linkage detached at the tranny?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 34plymouth, May 23, 2012.

1. 34plymouth

34plymouth New Member

I have a 96 Heritage Softtail -I was shifting to second when the whole mechanism went slack - the bike was in first so I limped back home in first. What is detached on the tranny side? Is this accessible from under the primary or do I have to take off the primary? I am new here so I hope this is the right way to ask for help. Thanks.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If what your saying is that the shift lever that goes down behind the primary is spinning on the shift shaft of the tranny? It could be the pinch bolt has fallen out or loose and needs tightened. But more than likely the shift lever is stripped of the splines and then yes the whole primary needs to come off. Some have used this albeit overpriced.

http://betterlever.com/

3. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Mine came loose so I wrenched it back down but it came loose again. I thought i'd try putting a new bolt in and so far so good, got alot of shifts in now and it's like new. Only cost was 1:60 for the bolt from Harley.

4. TUCCI

TUCCI Member

I''ve taken my stock lever apart and replaced it with one from Drag Specialties, and I'm not sure if displaying threads from other forums is allowed but with try and request patients on the part of the Moderators if It's an infringement until I learn my way around the forum....Thanks:
    Striped Shift Lever - Harley Davidson Forums
    shift rod linkage at rear shift shaft? - Harley Davidson Forums
    Shifter lever in the side of the tranny - Harley Davidson Forums
    This is the stock lever:
    [​IMG]
    notice the gap in the jaw....closing it and using a hex bolt with locktite is advisable if the splines are intact on the tranny shaft.
    [​IMG]
    The DS hardened chrome replacement for $35 shipped. It's tough and durable:
    [​IMG]

5. propflux01

propflux01 Active Member

I just added a washer to the bolt and fixed mine.

6. stratos94

stratos94 New Member

I have same problem 06 FHLRI w/34,000 miles. Removed and cleaned up bolt which was tight going through shift lever, moved lever over to primary and inspected shaft, from what I could see it looked ok. I replaced same bolt and super tightened above spec. It is holding frim rigth now but there is a small amount of dark oil around this area, fluids are ok after 3000 mile on fluids changed.

7. Bodeen

2 options are the Better Lever option or pulling the primary and replacing the stock lever. If you have seals leaking anyway, you may as well pull the primary and do the seals too. The seal around the shift shaft is a weeper and is very inexpensive and a must replace while in there IMO.

http://betterlever.com/

8. stratos94

stratos94 New Member

Looking through the manual it seems pretty straight forward removing the primary, and replacing the shift lever, seal and gaskets. not to sure about shifter shaft seal right now. Never done either but I think I can.

9. Bodeen

If you are comfortable enough with removal of Primary. The shift shaft seal is nothing. Get the HD repair and parts manuals for your bike. Best money spent and you'll be fine.