free website stats program SHift lever wont move | Harley Davidson Forums

SHift lever wont move

Wi_duker

I was on the highway when I had to downshift. Tried to do a normal shift. Shift lever was very hard to go down. Got it down into first but there is no way to shift up. The Shift lever wont budge at all.

Any remedies? Possible causes? Just want to know ahead of time so I can fix it.

It isnt the clutch

Unfasten the shift rod from the shift lever, not the transmission. Attempt to shift the tranny. If it shifts normal, do the following. Remove the shift pedals and the shift rod from the engine. Clean the shift rod and the pivot rod hole. Apply a good chassis grease to the rod and reassemble. Try the shift rod without being connected to the tranny. It should move freely. If so, reattach the tranny shift linkage and ride on. If not, the pivot rod may be bent or the pivot housing damaged. Let us know the outcome.

Unfasten the shift rod from the shift lever, not the transmission. Attempt to shift the tranny. If it shifts normal, do the following. Remove the shift pedals and the shift rod from the engine. Clean the shift rod and the pivot rod hole. Apply a good chassis grease to the rod and reassemble. Try the shift rod without being connected to the tranny. It should move freely. If so, reattach the tranny shift linkage and ride on. If not, the pivot rod may be bent or the pivot housing damaged. Let us know the outcome.

Thanks for the help

The problem was the shifter pawl bolt was completly loose. Nothing was damage. 4 hours of work and everything is better than new

I am having the same issue, kind of. I have a 95 Ultra Glide Classic. Noticed downshifting was becoming difficult. Upshift just fine as long as was running. Downshift only if I rev the engine or jam it into gear. Not fun at 75 MPH. Local shop wants over $1000 to look at it and put it back together. I just bought the bike a month ago and the repair bill sounds like more than half the price I paid. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Back