free website stats program Shift lever needs replacement. :( | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever needs replacement. :(

Mongo1958

I was adjusting the clutch on the Ultra and I noticed the shift leveris loose. The bolt is tight. I looked up and found a better lever from Buehler Concept and Design. I called and spoke to Mr Buehler and he told me his story. I am just glad that I found the info here to reduce the agrivation factor. I'm also glad I found it in my garage and not 100 miles away.

I'm guessing your talking about the lever that mounts to the tranny. The stock lever set up is junk and will strip out on the shaft. It doesn't matter how much you tighten it it will bottom out and still move around.

The only good fix is replace with the aftermarket lever and be done with it.

Looked up the Better Lever. The reviews look great and easily installs. Doing your own maintenance will always found lurking issues and not leave you stranded on the road.

I'm guessing your talking about the lever that mounts to the tranny. The stock lever set up is junk and will strip out on the shaft. It doesn't matter how much you tighten it it will bottom out and still move around.

The only good fix is replace with the aftermarket lever and be done with it.

Jeff, yes. Its the tranny lever. Your dicription is spot on.

Looked up the Better Lever. The reviews look great and easily installs. Doing your own maintenance will always found lurking issues and not leave you stranded on the road.
dbmg, I read lots of reviews right here. That's why I got one. Plus I called and talked to the guy that makes it. Very cool dude BTW.

The old one can be a real pain to get off, clearance being the issue. Using a dremel cutting disk tool to split the lever is what I've read people do to get it off. There may be a posting on how to remove it by cutting it here on the forum.
Shift Lever Replacement.
Take a look here, post #15 is a good read.

Last edited:
The Better Lever is on its way.
Conrad states, "If you have a six speed remove the stock lever's tightening bolt and
wiggle the old lever off the shaft". My 2009 Ultra Classic seem to argue with this.
I have the bike up on the Pit Bull lift and I can gain access from above and below. Before I start cutting, any one want to chime in on how to wiggle the lever off?
NOTE: The teeth or splines on the lever are not completely worn out, the bolt on the lever has been removed. Thanks

Mine is not a six speed and there is no way it was wiggling off. Thats why I opted to pull the primary. Those cutting discs can be a real try in patience even in the best of locations. Slow and steady wins the race. Take your time and you'll get it.

Hey Bodeen, How ya been?
I just pulled the primary last year. It would really just bug me if I had to buy another seal kit for this thing. But, if I do I will be able to inspect how well the comp is doing since I installed the compensaver.

The Better Lever is on its way.
Conrad states, "If you have a six speed remove the stock lever's tightening bolt and
wiggle the old lever off the shaft". My 2009 Ultra Classic seem to argue with this.
I have the bike up on the Pit Bull lift and I can gain access from above and below. Before I start cutting, any one want to chime in on how to wiggle the lever off?
NOTE: The teeth or splines on the lever are not completely worn out, the bolt on the lever has been removed. Thanks

I have the 5 speed and as Bodeen said, no way it will come out unless you cut and split the arm or remove the primary.
I had mine replaced and my warranty covered it but if I were to replace it i'd opt to use a dremel tool and cut/split the lever and remove in 2 pieces.

The shaft should be good as it's hardened steel and the lever is softer steel.

Back