free website stats program Shift Lever Extension ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Lever Extension ?

ultra pearl

Thinking of buying an extended shift lever. I like the Walters workshop model.
Can anyone tell me if you can use the stock lever for the toe and the Walters for just the heel, so you wouldn't have to buy two levers?
In the Dennis Kirk catolog they don't recommend the Walters model for a heel shifter, but when I talked to a sales person on the phone they didn't know why.
On The Walters workshop website and the Drag Specialities catolog they are listed for both toe and heel.

I have the Walters Work Shop on the rear and the stock on the front on my '94FLSTC

I noticed this was in the Touring section but figured the shifter would be the same as on a Softail. Just checked the Walters site and they have different part numbers. Not sure what the difference is. The site does say it will work for either toe or heel. If you do both you pick up 4 1/2 inches of space. I went with it because I didn't have much space between the shifters. With the heel extension I can move my foot around more.

Hopefully someone with the shifter on a Touring bike will post. For what its worth, I've had the shifter for 3 years and its worked great and looks as good as the day I got it.

I am actually on my second set. Traded my 04 Ultra in had toe and heel. Got another set for my 08. got about 30,000 miles on the second set had over 50,000 on the first set. You do want to make sure you use some blue locktite and really cinch them down. With the extra leverage, if they get loose you can round off the splines on the shift shaft. I would also recommend you replace the stock shift are with one that has hemi joints. Actually you can keep the stock rod and just get hemi joints for the ends of it. the little barrel joints don't really hold up too well.

I noticed this was in the Touring section but figured the shifter would be the same as on a Softail. Just checked the Walters site and they have different part numbers. Not sure what the difference is. The site does say it will work for either toe or heel. If you do both you pick up 4 1/2 inches of space. I went with it because I didn't have much space between the shifters. With the heel extension I can move my foot around more.

Hopefully someone with the shifter on a Touring bike will post. For what its worth, I've had the shifter for 3 years and its worked great and looks as good as the day I got it.

My '05 FLTRI came with (from the factory) the extended heel shifter. As I stated before I turned the front shift arm 180* and screwed the peg in from the other side. This freed up the entire front of the footboard.

That was my next question, Where this lever is 2+ inches longer than stock, aplying the same amout of force on the longer one as you did on the stock one would make it easier to strip the shaft.
Maybe that is why Dennis Kirk does not recommend this model for a heel shifter.
The Kuryakyn model is 1 3/4 inches longer. Which would be less easier to strip the shaft, one would think.
And maybe that is why HD does not offer an extended lever at all. But just the fold-away model.

As long as the bolt is tight on the shifter (pinch bolt) I don't think you could strip the shaft.

I agree with HDDon. I have the extended Heel from Walter on both my 2010 SG and 08 Ultra. If you install correctly and torque pinch bolt with some loctite you will not have any problems. Be careful on extending the toe shifter if you have lowers on your ride it could get a little tight.

Back