free website stats program Shell Gasoline in my FLHR | Harley Davidson Forums

Shell Gasoline in my FLHR

larryjmiller

I went on a day trip in the canyons in Malibu this past weekend with a bunch of guys here in So Cal. and several said they had bad luck using Shell Gasoline. I read several old threads and most people said they use 93 octane. Well here in the land of the fruits and nuts we only have 91 octane as the super unleaded. I use Shell in my van and it works great. Anyone have trouble with Shell "V" power 91 octane in their HD?

I went on a day trip in the canyons in Malibu this past weekend with a bunch of guys here in So Cal. and several said they had bad luck using Shell Gasoline. I read several old threads and most people said they use 93 octane. Well here in the land of the fruits and nuts we only have 91 octane as the super unleaded. I use Shell in my van and it works great. Anyone have trouble with Shell "V" power 91 octane in their HD?
Larry,

In October I rode my 08 FLHX down the California coast from Oregon, to SoCal, Vegas and back to Idaho. Never experienced any problems with Shell "V" Power 91 Octane on the ride.

No problem with Shell 91 octane; Hey I am in SoCal...I thought the land of fruits and nuts was up in NoCal...lets not give HDT members the wrong idea...:newsmile091:

Caveat...back in the old days of leaded gas...Shell was pretty lousy, fouled plugs in car back then!

Last edited:

You can add me to the list of the people that didn't like shell in the RK. I tried it once because I was low and didn't like the way the bike ran at all. A noticable difference. I'll stick with Sunoco 93.

I dont Know if it is world wide, but petrol is in a very advanced change, with some of the oil companies, certainly in Europe.
Bio-ethanol is now being added into petrol, and is a very volitile substance, which fires very agressively in the head.This can lead to heated piston rings if the mixture of bio ethanol and petrol exceds 5%ppm.
In turn this leads to warped rings by-passing oil in on top of the head.
The oil companies this side of the pond do NOT advertise this in their garages as the benifit for them is Tax releif on the bio-eth. which has gains when sold in Tonnes.
Be careful out there.

I dont Know if it is world wide, but petrol is in a very advanced change, with some of the oil companies, certainly in Europe.
Bio-ethanol is now being added into petrol, and is a very volitile substance, which fires very agressively in the head.This can lead to heated piston rings if the mixture of bio ethanol and petrol exceds 5%ppm.
In turn this leads to warped rings by-passing oil in on top of the head.
The oil companies this side of the pond do NOT advertise this in their garages as the benifit for them is Tax releif on the bio-eth. which has gains when sold in Tonnes.
Be careful out there.

Yeah, the Bio-ethanol is used here too...carefully crafted it's use and mandated into law by the oil companies trying to "ease supplies" and be more "GREEN" (yeah right, maybe in dollar bills). Oh yeah, we have specially "re"-formulated gas for the summer also, to "help" them again to be more "GREEN", "ease supplies" and "groomed" us to expect shortage (intentionally or not, who knows), and accept higher summertime prices as well.

All I know is, when we had our 91 Honda Civic it got close to 40MPG (after engine break-in), but when these mandated "reformulated gas" cycles started in earnest, the best we could do was 30MPG all year long, even under the best of circumstances. Still trying to figure the math, if you use 25% more gas, how can this be more green? :bigsmiley29:

Last edited:
Yeah, the Bio-ethanol is used here too...carefully crafted it's use and mandated into law by the oil companies trying to "ease supplies" and be more "GREEN" (yeah right, maybe in dollar bills). Oh yeah, we have specially "re"-formulated gas for the summer also, to "help" them again to be more "GREEN", "ease supplies" and "groomed" us to expect shortage (intentionally or not, who knows), and accept higher summertime prices as well.

All I know is, when we had our 91 Honda Civic it got close to 40MPG (after engine break-in), but when these mandated "reformulated gas" cycles started in earnest, the best we could do was 30MPG all year long, even under the best of circumstances. Still trying to figure the math, if you use 25% more gas, how can this be more green? :bigsmiley29:

In Ireland, Shell have sold off their sites to a company called TOPAZ ENERGY, and are the suppliers of bio-ethanol fuel, Exxon and Chevron have not followed suit YET, and are very PQ fussy about there fuel, and spend a fortune on additives.
Side by Side a car with Bio-ethanol petrol, will run out of fuel well before the untouched stuff, by nearly 2 to 1.
Also bear in mind that bio-ethanol burns more fircely, as it is more volitile than petrol, so it would be no harm to add a lubricant to your fill for ease on the engine head.

I was talking about the whole state.

We're taxing and legislating ourselves into oblivion and beyond.

At least we can still ride our bikes!!!

Back