free website stats program She knocks! | Harley Davidson Forums

She knocks!

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
While sitting at a traffic light on the way to work the other morning. Motor started knocking while at idle at the said light and I rode it in to work (1 mile). Left work and bike started and sounded fine. Got almost home and knock started. Its clearly a knock that only happens when warm. Its not something that you have to lean over the hear, Its a KNOCK! Does it at idle and revved up. Pulled primary cover and the compensator nut is tight and all seems well in the Primary. 2003 Road King with a 98" Hillside kit and 57 cams. S.E. cam plate and oil pump with 10K miles. Tried a stethoscope and the knock is so loud it is hard to isolate. This came on with no warning other than it starting to act up at the traffic light.. I may tear into the cam chest just to see what may be happening in there....Ideas?

TIA!

Hard to say when you can't isolate the noise, how many miles on the engine? did it maintain good oil pressure?
Strange that it runs and sounds fine when cold but happens when it's been running for a period of time.
Maybe drain the oil and cut the filter open, look for shavings or debris. Good luck.

One other thing i didnt add is that the knock goes away with rpm's.....

A knock when warm is usually a lower rod or main bearing.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I would first go into the cam chest like you said. Check your tensioners and the chains real close. A friends '01 Dyna knocked some what like that. It broke the outer chain and after I repaired that and rebuilt the nose cone for him the knock was gone.
tourbox

This is a way out in left field thought. Is your engine shaking like normal at idle? I had a sudden loud knock in my E.G. one day.
I found that a bungee hook on a newly installed beaded seat cover was wedged between rocker cover and frame. Waay out there but..

This is a way out in left field thought. Is your engine shaking like normal at idle? I had a sudden loud knock in my E.G. one day.
I found that a bungee hook on a newly installed beaded seat cover was wedged between rocker cover and frame. Waay out there but..
That would be great to find! I immediately thought collapsed front motor mount and front cylinder exhaust hitting the down tubes....Sadly, it wasnt so.

In my experience if it was a rod or bearing it wouldn't go away with rpm's. It may level out a bit but you'd still hear the knocking.

I may have the heart and time to tear into some more this weekend. I'm gonna tear into the cam chest next I guess...Have a look to see whats going on in there.

Back