free website stats program shaking under hard acceleration | Harley Davidson Forums

shaking under hard acceleration

hippy8717

i built a custom chopper using an 01 sportster 1200 as a doner bike. after completing it i have a problem under hard acceleration in 1-3rd gear. the bike starts jumping / bouncing / shaking violently but quits if i let off the throttle. i am running a completely stock motor with stock ignition, stock carb. i have eliminated the VOES by running a ground wire to the ignition and have also eliminated the rollover switch with a ground to the ignition. any ideas on what may be causing this problem? i followed the stock wiring diagram very closely during the build and have double and triple checked all grounds and connections. all connections have been soldered and shrinkwrapped. i have also been having a problem with the battery going dead after about 2 weeks. i suspect the regulator may be bad, i replaced the stator and that got it charging again any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

i should have added that i have checked and double checked the belt tension, primary chain adjustment, wheel bearings are new, tires are new, belt is new, running a 250 rear, and a springer front. basically the whole bike, frame, etc. is new with the exception of the engine/tranny .

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems then that with the high demand needed to increase ignition function that either there is a voltage drop from a sub standard battery or charging system or the motor is moving in the frame and grounding something out or maybe the wiring harness is to short and pulling apart causing fault. Or is it as simple as you are hitting the rev limiter????????

Like dbmg said ,you might be hitting the Rev. Limiter. I would start by placing the VOES back in line. By running it grounded you are fully advanced on timing.At idle, WOT, or anything in between.I'm not familiar with the Rollover switch you are talking about. On dressers with cruise control they have a roll off switch on the return cable. Could you explain the rollover switch to me.
tourbox

The way I READ It:

That 01 is a solid mount motor to the bike frame... Correct?

IF it is FELT shaking the whole bike , it can't be the electrical system. I had a 95 sport, solid mounted and it too shook a Bit but not like you describe.

I have a rubber mounted sport (06 1200R) and I can Feel the motor (uncomfortable) making some Feeeeeel when totally on the accelerator up to 60, then nothing but GO from there.... Been like that since new...

OLD experienced members might know More about this is fin_676 a mod and or Hobbit over in the UK... Lots of Sport Bike sense...:s

You built it and now you'll have to find the fix:small3d023:

signed....BUBBIE

Could you explain the rollover switch to me.

I thought he was talking Bank angle sensor?

My Shovelhead had a bad vibration under acceleration. Turns out one of the motor mount frame lugs was cracked. A break/crack any where in the frame will cause vibration. Very hard to see.

Solid mount sportsters can vibrate a wee bit it mirrors shake so that I cant see what is behind me if the state of tune of the bike was off the vibration would be enhanced
With no voes I would think that ignition timing would be wrong on low and medium throttle openings
The vacuum operated electronic switch adjusts the ignition timing depending on the amount of vacuum present in the carb created by the throttle position
To remove the voes you would need a more sophisticated ignition module
Once the ignition timing is correct it would then be possible to correctly confirm the tune of the carb

Brian

Thanks for all the input guys - sounds like i better put in a diff. ign module, maybe a crane HI 4. I did not realize what the VOES does. and it is long gone now. The roll over switch i refered to is the Bank Angle Sensor. and it is also long gone. I have not had it running long so i now have a project to do before spring. I suspected the Ignition may be the problem but now i beleive you guys have confirmed just that. thanks again

Thanks for the clarification on the Roll Over switch. Breeze3at had it figured out. The BAS only kills the ignition if you fall over or lean over more than X# of degrees. It wouldn't of had anything to do with your Shaking.
tourbox

Thanks for all the input guys - sounds like i better put in a diff. ign module, maybe a crane HI 4. I did not realize what the VOES does. and it is long gone now. The roll over switch i refered to is the Bank Angle Sensor. and it is also long gone. I have not had it running long so i now have a project to do before spring. I suspected the Ignition may be the problem but now i beleive you guys have confirmed just that. thanks again

Harley Davidson Forums here is some info on the Crane system

Back