free website stats program Shaking 2007 RKC ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Shaking 2007 RKC ????

jerrybombard

Hi guys and girls,
I’m new to my 2007 RKC and to HD in general. The bike is stock and has a total of ~6100 mi, 1100 or so by me. I’ve been riding for ~40 years (YIKES !!) and currently have a small stable of 6 bikes, so I’m not totally new.
I’ve been reading all the great stuff here about this particular bike and HD in general, and for this bike, I’ve learned to run ONLY 93 octane and not to lug the engine (never a good idea) to avoid the pinging. I think I’ll get some XIED’s from Nightrider to help with that.
Now to my problem:
Yesterday, very hot down here in south Fl, went for a 100 mi or so ride, mostly 50 – 60 mph on pretty much empty roads. Everything seemed normal, bike rode as it always had. UNTIL I had to go over a bridge for the intercoastal, about 50 feet up. The bike started to shake like nobodies business on the uphill, seemed like the engine was solid mounted, not rubber. It was particularly bad thru the footboards. It has never felt like this before. Everything seemed to be a’shaking. I hoped on I95 south to home, about 60mi, and the bike seemed to still have a “buzz” to it not felt before. By then I’m sure I was hyper sensitive to it, but at 75 mph, it seemed to calm down some. This morning, at 81 degrees, I rode to work, at 60 mph, again probably hyper sensitive to the vibes, but I swear this bike didn’t ride like this yesterday morning. Since I got this bike, I was amazed at how smooth it rode, now that seems to be gone.
To tell the truth, I have no idea where to start. I can check all the engine mounting points, but am not even sure where they are or what to look for. Broken rubber mount? Loose bolts? Bolt fell out? A quick, and I mean quick, look yesterday didn’t show anything obvious. The bike is still under warranty for 5-6 more weeks, but I’d really rather fix it myself than bother with the dealer unless it’s a wide spread warranty issue.
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I like this bike so much, I’m thinking of selling all the others because I’m sure I’ll rarely ride them now.
Thanks,
Jer

It could be engine mounts, stabilizer links on the engine and even crank runout causing the vibes. Best bet is to get the factory manual and use it as a guide to check things over.

Voice of experience here ....Check your charging system too. When the magnets slipped on my rotor they slid around to one large lump and caused alot of vibration. I felt it start but wasn't sure what it was until i replaced stator and noticed magnets had moved on rotor. Also look at the rubber mounts where the mufflers mount to saddle bag mount (at bottom) One of my rubber isolators moved out and let pipe touch mount..Wow lots of vibration at footboards. Hope this is helpful. :p

I did check the engine mounts per the manual and only found one of the front rubber engine mount bolts ever so slightly loose. That did not help the situation. I will check the rear muffler mounts also, sounds resonable because I can here a slight noise back there, sounds like a loose washer ringing.
As a side note, I hve not had this same vibration since Sunday, the day I first felt it. I don't think so, but maybe it was the road I was on or something else I didn't notice.
Thanks for the help.
Jer

Back