free website stats program shake,rattle n hmmm?? | Harley Davidson Forums

shake,rattle n hmmm??

sooty

:rr:rr
im having some problems with my 92 softail springer,you tell me if they are minor or major??
after my first decent ride (400k's) i noticed the following...
1.towards the end of my ride i could not get the thing out of first gear and nuetral is getting very hard to find.the thing is i took it to a mechanic and asked him to check the clutch adjustment and he said its fine??
2.i was reading the 92 owners manual and it stated that the 5spd cannot be shifted into nuetral from 2nd gear but i have noticed that when shifting down gears it has done a few times now
3.the 3rd and final thing is a noise that i can only describe as a rattle from what seems to be the motor when the bike is under load,say if im gassing it from steady accelaeration.
any help would be appreciated!!

:rr:rr
im having some problems with my 92 softail springer,you tell me if they are minor or major??
after my first decent ride (400k's) i noticed the following...
1.towards the end of my ride i could not get the thing out of first gear and nuetral is getting very hard to find.the thing is i took it to a mechanic and asked him to check the clutch adjustment and he said its fine??
2.i was reading the 92 owners manual and it stated that the 5spd cannot be shifted into nuetral from 2nd gear but i have noticed that when shifting down gears it has done a few times now
3.the 3rd and final thing is a noise that i can only describe as a rattle from what seems to be the motor when the bike is under load,say if im gassing it from steady accelaeration.
any help would be appreciated!!

answered in order...

1. Do a clutch adjustment yourself, the mechanic probably just squeezed the handle and billed you for it. This is usually the cause or the primary oil is over full. Either of which will cause this.

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

Easy Clutch Adjustment - Harley Davidson Community

2. The trans will drop into neutral from second on occasion but it was not made to do this like the newer bikes. No worries there, it happens.

3. Sounds like pinging to me, try down shifting or use a higher octane fuel.

first off,thanks for the quick reply!!

ok now responce in order...
1.i have but being my first big twin i thought i would go for a 2nd opinion.the primary level has not changed for this to be happening.i serviced the bike a month ago but only noticed the problem yesterday??
2.phew!!
3.you suggest down shifting but would it still be pinging if the motor is not labouring?i am always carefull to keep in the rite gear to match rpm??i am using premium unleaded fuel,do you think a octane booster is needed?it has been suggested that i add an octane booster due to the fact there has been some engine mods

OK now the dirt comes out :D

What engine mods?

Down shifting is probably the answer anyway if you are using hi test. Octane booster generally isn't needed in a street bike unless you are running super high compression ratios.

The problem with the clutch as I see it from here is that with the excess heat in the drive train after all those miles, the pushrod for the clutch elongates from the heat and the adjustment is out the window now. That's why I suggested another adjustment. Always do the adjustment cold and it will change and move further away from the bar when hot.

How about the clutch action after it cools down, it it OK then?

ALSO, what trans lube and primary lube are you using?

mods=wiseco pistons,andrews head,cam,s&s carb,,dyna ignition,2into1pipes with cones and a few other bits n pieces.

ok i will try adjusting it again.it crunchs a little when putting it into 1st along with the above mentioned problems,other than that it aint too bad..

i am using harley recomended oils

also any links to correct tuning of s&s carbs?

mods=wiseco pistons,andrews head,cam,s&s carb,,dyna ignition,2into1pipes with cones and a few other bits n pieces.

ok i will try adjusting it again.it crunchs a little when putting it into 1st along with the above mentioned problems,other than that it aint too bad..

i am using harley recomended oils

also any links to correct tuning of s&s carbs?

Harley recommended oils as in syn 3 in the trans and primary? If so that's part of the problem. Use a gear lube in the trans and you will see a noticable improvement in the shifting and finding neutral.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

I would also back off a setting on the dyna ignition for the timing.Should eliminate the ping on accell.

You'll find some input on the S&S here.

Fuel and Carb Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

also try shortening your shifter linkage that was my problem all along and I had tried all of the other adjustments.

Back