free website stats program SG Still too high? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SG Still too high?

Kit runs about $449. You can do the install yourself with basic tools. If you don't want to mess with the front, at least do the rear yourself and pay an idie shop about 1 hour labor to do the front end.

Here are some photos after it was lowered.
DSC_HDSG2.jpg

DSC_HDSG1.jpg

DSC_HDSG3.jpg

Dyna and SG have little in common.
Lowered touring bikes will buttom out. many that have spent the cash to do this have wish they had not. Reselling the kits latter returns little.
taking air shocks off a touring bike make little sense.
Try this take you seat off the bike. Sit on it with no seat bring bike stright up like your sitting at a light. Notice how much inseam you do have. Now stick a few towel under you to rase yourself to normal seat height, but fold them so thay are not as wide as the seat is. Play with this till you get it right you will see that a small reduction in the width of the front oart of the seat were you do not sit anyway will gain you a lot of inseam with stopped, but not effect how the bike sits wen riding. This mod can be done to any seat for a very low cost and will not effect ride or buttoming out on the bike. most bikes are lowr because it looks cool not for a better fit.
This works because the wide seat pushes legs out lowering the seat doen ot change this reducing wide does.
Good luck with it

I have yet to get mine to bottom out and believe me I have tried. Put about 200 miles on yesterday on the some of the worst roads I could fine, also had the Wife on the bike. I was very concerned about it bottoming out, called Progressive, a few Dealers and a couple of Indies and they all told me it wouldn't, so far they are correct.

I do agree with Smitty on the seat, they make a HUGE difference and can be all that you need depending on your inseam. In my case, with the 21 inch in the front and the 18 in the rear the seat was no longer enough on its own. Try the Mustang Sundowner (I think) it gave me the difference I needed before I added the rims.

It is a Mustang Day Tripper, not Sundowner

1+ for the narrower seat. Found that when I added the sheepskin gel pad about 3/4" thick to my Drag Specialties seat, it felt like I raised seat height 1 1/2". Fortunately the only reason I got the pad was to protect the leather seat, the additional padding while adding to comfort was not a necessity, so it stays...the matching pillion pad though WAS necessary, and my gal really likes the additional padding and height.

Back