free website stats program Seventy Two | Harley Davidson Forums

Seventy Two

TomH65

I have been considering testing out the Sportster 1200 Seventy Two. I haven't seen one yet in this forum. Has anyone got any comments on this model?
All I know so far is that the fuel tank is tiny, but I like the retro style.

My son fell in love with the 72 when he seen it - he brought one home from work one night so I just had to take it for a ride - fast like a rocket - but found the seat & position uncomfortable, handled well nice city bike,not for any distance, my son said the bike was full when he left work & low fuel light came on just as he got home so went & filled it up , he likely put on 15 miles before he got home plus my 3 mile ride - he had to fill up again before he got back to work. since we don`t ride short trips he decided it was not the bike for him,

It's a nice 1200 assuming you like the styling. The styling is the only thing that separates it from the other Sporties. Other than that, all Sportsters are on the same frame and are essentially the same bike with some different refinements depending on model. 883 vs 1200 is the only powertrain difference between any of the models. You'll probably want a new seat though.

Look cool, but ride is a tad rough for my 51-yr-old body. I'd have to sink $1500 into seat & suspension upgrades...that's just me. Fun bike tho.

I built an 01 xl for my son and other than the bobbed fender and the white walls it looks like a 72 and of coarse the bass boat paint job. It turned out to be a cool little bike he loves it. Total investment is under $4000 about 6 months later Harley rolled out the 72 for about $11000 that made my day
WAP.gif

I switched out the tank for a 3.3 gallon off a 2008 iron. I get about 94-97 miles (hwy)/82-84 (city) before the low fuel light comes on. By then I'm more than ready for a break. I know, I know. "But the tank is part of the appeal", blah, blah. I never really cared for the tank but I really liked the rest of the bike. The white walls, chrome, skinny tire, mini apes, smaller tins, whatever else. I like it. I guess that's all that matters since I paid for it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409016896.876947.jpg

I switched out the tank for a 3.3 gallon off a 2008 iron. I get about 94-97 miles (hwy)/82-84 (city) before the low fuel light comes on. By then I'm more than ready for a break. I know, I know. "But the tank is part of the appeal", blah, blah. I never really cared for the tank but I really liked the rest of the bike. The white walls, chrome, skinny tire, mini apes, smaller tins, whatever else. I like it. I guess that's all that matters since I paid for it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409017534.978755.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409017534.978755.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 7
Looks good and as long as you are happy it really does not matter..................

Back