free website stats program Setting belt tension 08 vs 11 service manual | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Setting belt tension 08 vs 11 service manual

Bubbie

My 07 RK has the cam setup on the rear wheel for adjusting.

My '07 EG Classic also has the cam adjusters.

Smitty901 was ONLY talking about the difference in 09 New Frames???
Re reading his statement says just that... I INSERTED a lot of Non truths on my own.. Must be the "Old Age" setting in and developing faster now in this WET, COOL climate in Wa..

I originally thought the o7's and up had the NON Adjustable Alignment Axle Cams, adjusting ONLY for belt tension... SO I guess that is TRUE?

Now that this is Modern Days and knowing that the Touring style bikes have the Cams,,,, 07 and up

Do all SOFTAILS still have the original style of adjusting the wheel alignment?

Geezer's 09 softail has the independent adjusters on his I know....

Did they change out any Other Models to the newer Cam style adjuster, or just the Touring????

I haven't kept up on this Cam Adjuster verses the Old and MY preferred method of INDEPENDENT screws... I just Liked the fine tuning one could do on the wheel/belt alignment using the old independent screws...

Same thing as on the Primary auto chain adjuster,,, I liked to keep mine adjusted Myself...

signed....BUBBIE

Found this interesting,so had a look at the parts lists,though could only go up to 2010.

On the FLHR Evo type adjusters,using yokes and nuts to pull axle back,carried on till 2001.
From 2002 through 2010 the design,if not the part numbers,looks the same,and went to cams,one fixed to axle and one loose.
I'd always asumed that to tension belt and align wheel,you turned axle then held while moving loose cam to correct alignment.
This would be the reason they went from "R" clip to circlip,to retain nut.
With the earlier adjusters,if you couldn't get "R" clip through hole,you slackened nut,moved axle round,and retorqed nut.

As far as I'm aware,the Softail has always used two screws to push the axle back,as used on the old hardtail frames up to 1957.

Resurrecting an older post, I am trying to adjust the belt tension on my09 ultra, I am having a hard time keeping the brake caliper side from moving when I tightn up the cone nut, is it critical that both sides are in the same position? The old style on my 2000 was much easier!

Resurrecting an older post, I am trying to adjust the belt tension on my09 ultra, I am having a hard time keeping the brake caliper side from moving when I tightn up the cone nut, is it critical that both sides are in the same position? The old style on my 2000 was much easier!

If one side moves as you tighten the other side, the possibility is that the wheel will not be in alignment.

Found this interesting,so had a look at the parts lists,though could only go up to 2010.

On the FLHR Evo type adjusters,using yokes and nuts to pull axle back,carried on till 2001.
From 2002 through 2010 the design,if not the part numbers,looks the same,and went to cams,one fixed to axle and one loose.
I'd always asumed that to tension belt and align wheel,you turned axle then held while moving loose cam to correct alignment.
This would be the reason they went from "R" clip to circlip,to retain nut.
With the earlier adjusters,if you couldn't get "R" clip through hole,you slackened nut,moved axle round,and retorqed nut.

I can confirm that; I installed a 2002 swingarm last winter and it does have the cam adjusters - one fixed to the axle and the other loose, but fitting onto flat spots on the axle making it semi-loose.
I originally thought the intention was to adjust wheel tracking by turning the axle and the other cam would follow. It does follow, but the fit on the axle has some play in it making the cam hang back a bit - this makes it necessary to adjust the loose cam after the fixed side is done.
Sometimes the cam rotates a bit back while final tightening the axle nut and I find the process clumsy...

Anyone has a better way of doing the adjustment?

Back