free website stats program Service manual Type-O ? Alignment | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Service manual Type-O ? Alignment

Breeze, what I ran into on the '09 Dyna was the rear axle is a hollow "tube" or long hollow bolt. The true center is therefore imaginary. In the service manual, HD refers to a set of aluminum plugs that you insert into the axle so you can create a true center. The plugs are not for sale even through HD but Jim's makes a set. I would have paid the $120 but there was 1 design issue I really did not like about them so I passed and came up with a better idea. Once you have the true center of the axle, there is a factory drilled 1/8" hole about 4" forward of the axle. The distance between the hole and axle true center must be equal on each side. HD says the allowable tolerance is .030" from side to side which is 1/4" at the tread. My bike from the Factory had about .030" of error from side to side. My belt use to hug the outer lip of the pulley. Once I got the axle corrected, the belt now no longer hugs the lip.
It was something I had to try because the answer was bugging me.

Yes, I am looking forward to getting the True-Trac stabilizers. Nice but pricey. It would be cheaper to put a kid through college than customizing a HD. :p:p

I made a tool that cuts the alignment job to size fast. It is a "Must Have" in my book. If interested I can post a picture w/ dimensions.
It will cost $50-60 to make but for me was well worth it. Half the price of the #950 Jim's plug set and works even better. :p:p

Hoople, as a 09 Lowrider owner, I would be interested in seeing pictures with dimensions of your homemade "Must Have" alignment tool.

Hoop; .030 + - is tight tolerance! I just looked in my '92 service manual, and it says "this adjustment must be as accurate as possible to facillitate the top stabalizer adj." It's a wonder I ever got mine right, I was just lucky.
Oh, the service manual tells how to make the rod I explained, I guess they thought harder and came up with a hollow axle, so they could design a special tool to sell.:D

Hoop; .030 + - is tight tolerance!

Yes, I agree .030" doesn't sound like much but it truly made a difference in the belt tracking once the sides really matched. Since the axle was hollow I was going to have to buy the Jim's plugs or make something and since the inside diameter of the axle is exactly .625" I was able to get some SS drill rod really cheap which made the whole project pretty easy. Later today or tomorrow I will post some pictures of the rod I had machined.

The only hook to the whole thing is your pipes can't cover the axle hole because you won't be able to slide the tool into the axle. My stock pipes were no problem but I am sure it will be an issue for many.

Hoople, as a 09 Lowrider owner, I would be interested in seeing pictures with dimensions of your homemade "Must Have" alignment tool.

Here you go Lowrider owner:

If you were thinking of buying Jim's #950 axle plugs, this is a much better way to align your rear hollow axle. This won't be of any help if your rear axle is blocked by your pipes and I also would not go through the trouble of making this tool until I was sure your axle was the same as mine. (part# 41114-08) 2009 FXDL
But for my application, it works like a dream.

Made from Standard size .625" precision Drill Rod. Make the Overall length 14.862". Once installed into the axle,, by tapping using a rubber mallet, each rod center will be at the same distance from the rear fork and will therefore eliminate any triangular errors unlike the HD or Jim's plug would have. That is actually the reason why I went with this rod over buying the "off the shelf" plugs for $100. I did not like the errors the plugs created due to height differences.

I used 1/16" holes for centers in the rod. For me the holes work better than V centers. The turned down section of the rod was machined to .468" from the starting .625" diameter. The turned down section is 2.250" in length.

Once you use it a few times, it's a snap to adjust belt tension and true up your axle in 1 shot. Tap the rod into the axle until it is Flush with the exit hole of the axle. Check to see if you have dirt or rust inside your axle. If the axle is clean, it's a perfect fit.

I carried it 1 step further by making an adjustable measuring divider. Use the pre-drilled holes supplied by HD that are already in the fork

To some people I am sure this all looks like a lot of work just to make 1 adjustment and would rather just eye ball it. I understand. But for me it answered a magnitude of questions....
Half the of these things I do, I do because I want to see what the results will be and not because it is a must.. Even though I did call this a Must Have tool!!

Attachments

• Base_Rod.jpg
    Base_Rod.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2piece.jpg
    2piece.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Crown.jpg
    Crown.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Right_stick.jpg
    Right_stick.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Rod_R_S.jpg
    Rod_R_S.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Breeze, what I ran into on the '09 Dyna was the rear axle is a hollow "tube" or long hollow bolt. The true center is therefore imaginary. In the service manual, HD refers to a set of aluminum plugs that you insert into the axle so you can create a true center...

...HD says the allowable tolerance is .030" from side to side which is 1/4" at the tread. My bike from the Factory had about .030" of error from side to side. My belt use to hug the outer lip of the pulley. Once I got the axle corrected, the belt now no longer hugs the lip.
It was something I had to try because the answer was bugging me.

Yes, I am looking forward to getting the True-Trac stabilizers. Nice but pricey. It would be cheaper to put a kid through college than customizing a HD. :p:p

Good design work there Hoop...have to say though non necessarily cheaper, but getting that kid through college is quite a bit more gratifying, but the "payoff" is so long...in this day an age instant grafification works in the short term quite nicely!!! :small3d036:

Back