free website stats program SERT or just a download? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

SERT or just a download?

I would have to say that basic maintenance is fairly easy. Just get the manual, allow yourself plenty of time, study up, (check out the self help section here :s), and it isn't too hard for basic service. I am by no means a mechanic, but I can use basic tools & I now do the basic service for my bike & my hubbies electra glide. Don't under estimate yourself and the folks here for helping you out.

Since I found this site, I have installed a security alarm on my bike, an ez-pull clutch, and a new LED tail light. Plug-n-play mostly, the clutch was a little more involved, but overall, it really isn't rocket science.

Thanks for all the input guys. Believe me when I tell you I have no interest in racing my ultra, I probably baby it as it is. All I am looking for is a cooler runing engine with a little more power. The problem is, which is my problem, is that I am ignorant as to how all this stage I stuff works. I am going by what my dealer is telling me. Now, since I don't take anything that someone tells me as gospel, I did some checking around with other dealers. A total of five now and I have gotten five different answers. My dealer is telling me I need a SERT w/Dyno (the most expensive of all my options), another is saying a SERT no dyno required (you tell me is that even possible?), one said just a download, another said power commander, another said Fuel Pak. I am not trying to be cheap about it, cause I believe you get what you pay for, but by the same token I don't want to throw money needlessly out the window. Since I am not a DIY type of guy (lack of abillity, not lazyness) I am left to the whims of the professionals. Clearly the professionals picked up on the lack of knowledge and it seems they have both hands in my pockets. Therfore I turn to you guys here on this forum for help. I was leaning toward the SERT ONLY cause I thought that it would'nt void my warranty, but someone here already said that it too would void it. So I guess now it a choice between the PCIII or the V&H Fuel Pak, since none of the dealers I spoke with use the TFI. As I have already mentioned me trying to put a TFI in myself will do alot more harm than good. Once again thanks for the info.

Hey crimsonultra,

Just to let you know, I did the FI2000 on my 2005 EGS. I did put a K&N airfilter in the stock box, and left the stock pipes as it. Made a huge difference. Bike runs cooler, and that acceleration is really great. It is not a Rocket, but then again, I don't want speeding tickets. I ride mine everyday. I may average 200 miles a week or better. Depending on how much running around I have to do. But the FI2000 from Cobra was a good choice for me. The TFI I think has an extra pot on it, but they all pretty much do the samething. ADD NEEDED FUEL. Hope that helps, but that is all I have.

Good luck.

pc3 and fuel packs will also void your warennty, here working for a dealer, i have never run into a case where the customer wasnt right and the part wasnt replaced, sert or no sert. that is that dealership trying to scare you. as for a sert with no dyno time , i wouldnt. that would be like shooting darts by candle light instead of turnig the lights on.

the problem with the pc3 , v&h fuel packs, tfi, is that they all interupt the computer and the bike . the need to talk and share info, if not the computer thinks something is wrong. also when you get to 2007 and later efi models , they all have an addaptive fuel factor, this means the bike is actually learing . by putting in the other devices , you are trying to fight that. 2006 and down all there was ion sense , now there are o2 sensors and a much bigger computer

hers the bottom line, if all you want to do drive around town (normally) and have a better then stock sound with the stock motor configuration, then the stage 1 download is for you . if you want to go big bore or cam out your motor, the i ,(coming from someone who has worked real hard at pefecting the dyno sert mapping), would go with the sert, reason being....it the only way to custom write a map for the bike and still let and allow the computer to do its job. its a fact now , computers are here to stay, and they keep getting smaller but able to do a lot more then ever. stop fighting that they are not ever going back to carbs.

the problem with the pc3 , v&h fuel packs, tfi, is that they all interupt the computer and the bike . the need to talk and share info, if not the computer thinks something is wrong. also when you get to 2007 and later efi models , they all have an addaptive fuel factor, this means the bike is actually learing . by putting in the other devices , you are trying to fight that. 2006 and down all there was ion sense , now there are o2 sensors and a much bigger computer

This theory is partially correct but with the narrow band 02 sensors and some types of modifications, they cannot adjust enough to properly compensate for them. Just AC or just slipons, you may get by but still be lean.
Me, I don't want to gamble on something that costs $20K. I'll add a tuner like the TFI and know that I'm getting more fuel.
With the TFI all you do is alter the pulse width of the signal from the computer and it does not know anything is wrong.

I went with the SERT. Did the install myself and used the preprogramed download for the pipes and air cleaner I installed. This is the same as the dealer would do if you had them remap it. I will have her put on a dyno and add some more fuel before winter is over. The reason I went with the SERT is I like to tinker and I can see adding cams and maybe going up to a 103 in the future and I didn't want to have to pay the dealer to remap everytime I change something.

:newsmile075:this very true , that all the other units simply increase the pluse widths. problems start to happen down the road... the com. is send (x ) pulse width, the tfi ( or other tuners ) sends (Y) pulse width, the bike will be fine until the o2 sensors trip on ( really they are only switchs) now the bike sees the (X) pulse width is wrong so it changes. the tfi also must change ....the both are allways tring to fight for control . if goes too radical of a change in thecom the spark will now be altered. all i'm saying is you have an option to USE to com to work FOR you NOT AGAINST you .. sert is the only one that is an actual reprogram/map, the others just do their own thing . the sert is now made by spx/kent moore. originally it was designed by one guy who was contracted to h-d. the others are made else where. now dont get me wrong , i'm not just saying this cause i work fora dealer, this is from tuning most if not all of the diffrent tuners out there. all the problems that is see with the other tuners , ALL are gone once the sert is installed with at least a safe tune (which is not on the dyno , this is one of my maps).

Back