free website stats program Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience)

Don't distract yourself by plugging in an iPod and cranking up the tunes. Stay safe, stay focused.

By that ideal you should have quiet pipes too .. nothing wrong with ipod or radio as long as you dont focus your attn on that

Practice your emergency procedures...

Emergency lane change
Emergency stops
Tight turns
Learn to maximize your lean angles.
Do your best to scrub the chicken strips off your tires.

Take an advanced riders course.

And most of all, practice, practice your emergency procedures. Then practice some more..

And wear the proper protective equipment. Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

SledDog - you nailed this thread...all I can add is do your routine and preventative maintenance and inspection OFTEN. So easy to forget to check tire pressure or be in a hurry and not check fluids, tighten loose hardware, promptly fixing anything amiss or worn. :eam

Awesome ideas of traffic safety. I especially like the "don't be distracted..." part, as I recently had installed XM radio on my EG. And I just hope I'll be disciplined enough to turn it down or off PRIOR to crazy situations around others. AAarrgh! Ergo why I like my amber spot-lamps and LED tail/stop lights! Anyone else use yellow or amber spotlights for safety "be seen" reasons? :D

Don't distract yourself by plugging in an iPod and cranking up the tunes. Stay safe, stay focused.

I got rid of my loud pipes and now have tunes to listen too. I think the tunes are less distractive though. I do understand what you're trying to say, but thought I'd give ya a bad time. So nothing personal here at all.:) I think a new saying would be appropriate, "Loud music saves lives". Yep, that's my motto and I'm sticking to it. :D
Ugly John

Sled Dog got it right
My addition would be put the kick stand down before you put gas in the tank.

Saw that one twice last year. (no it was not me)

Search Evaluate Execute (SEE).

Search for potential hazards
Evaluate the situation, how are you going to handle it (speed up, slow down, wait for traffic to do its thing)
Execute, put it into motion

Simple rule for Search part:
2 Second following distance (this is min. for ideal conditions, Is it ever Ideal?)
4 Second Immediate path
12 Second Anticipated path

You should never follow closer than 2 seconds
You should be able to respond to anything within 4 seconds from you
You should be searching 12 seconds ahead at all times

Always scanning aggressively.
This does work

Back