free website stats program Serial data | Harley Davidson Forums

Serial data

FLST

I am trying to understand the term "serial data". I see the term in the manual and in the schematics, but I am having a time trying to "get" just what it is. Any one have a not-too-technical description of "serial data"? Thank you.

The term serial data refers to coded information transmitted to a computer from sensors in the form of voltage, temperature, speed, time or other familiar unit of measurement that is used to reference the parameters set by the computer for running the different components on the bike.

It gets it's name basically from the fact that the parameters are transmitted one after another in series.

The term serial data refers to coded information transmitted to a computer from sensors in the form of voltage, temperature, speed, time or other familiar unit of measurement that is used to reference the parameters set by the computer for running the different components on the bike.

It gets it's name basically from the fact that the parameters are transmitted one after another in series.
Thank you, glider. I'll copy this to my "bike" folder for future reference. Very good explanation.

It also can be compared to communicating in morse code. A stream or series of Dots and Dashes (bits) in a particular order which represent a particular value (byte). A "byte" being a complete character which is made up of 8 Bits.

For example. Lets say you wanted to transmit the value 138 from one computer to another.
That 138 is made up of (3) bytes of 1-3-8. Each byte is a serial stream of 8 bits then 8 bits then 8 bits.
The character 1 is actually a serial string of bits equal to 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1
The character 3 is actually a serial string of bits equal to 0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1
The character 8 is actually a serial string of bits equal to 0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0

Therefore if you were to stream 000000010000001100001000 to a computer it would mean 138.
Computers only understand a value of 0 or a value of 1

Thanks, Hoople. That's a bit more technical and along with glider's explanation I think I get it now.

I think you might be right breeze. I'm going to check my frosted flakes box right now. :newsmile034:

Another question. In the schematic I see a "data link connector". Is this related to the serial data? It's [91A] on the schematic. Has 4 "wires?" I have been searching the help files but thus far haven't found anything.

Back