free website stats program SEPST Map for 08 Fatboy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SEPST Map for 08 Fatboy

If the bias table is not enough to stop the knock, you may want to do VCI recording while the bike is knocking. Download the recording of the VCI to the laptop and look at which cells knock control was active. Play the recording frame by frame. It will tell you exactly when each cylinder and by how much, knock control was active. Write down the Map value, RPM & how much advance was kicked back. Now go to your working advance tables of each cylinder & change the values by at least the amount knock control performed. Save file with a new name & then flash.
You did not say if the knock you heard was continual or just a few hits until knock control reacted.

Before doing the recording, be sure Knock Control is enabled in the working tuning setup table.
BTW. max VCI recording time is 15 minutes. You will notice the advance tables for 176AE106 are off the charts while Map readings are in the 50 Kpa & 2750-4000 RPM.
Hoople,
Nock was around 3000 to 4000rpm under load (approx 70% throttle position) it was quite noticable until bike speed was up and engine was not under as much load. Although this was with the base map...176AE106
I did a Data run and the recording did show engine knock.

I have since loaded a map with Bios set at 740 accross all cells, front and rear cylinders of course.
Their is no engine knock however i will be doing a data run and update the VE tables.
However, I have idle set at 976 in last for cells to keep engine cool at higher temperatures. With base Map (176AE106) idle did drop down in rpm but with the new Map (176AE106-001)bike seem to hold higher idle rpm's..I would put that down to cooler engine temp!
What do you think?

What is the lowest idle rpm that can be run before effecting anything?

Will there be any need to update any other tables other than the VE tables?

Their is no engine knock however i will be doing a data run and update the VE tables.
However, I have idle set at 976 in last for cells to keep engine cool at higher temperatures. With base Map (176AE106) idle did drop down in rpm but with the new Map (176AE106-001)bike seem to hold higher idle rpm's..I would put that down to cooler engine temp!
What do you think?

What is the lowest idle rpm that can be run before effecting anything?

Will there be any need to update any other tables other than the VE tables?

Glad you got the knock out using the bias table. I would not go too low on idle trying to keep it cooler. My target idle is set for 1050 because I don't want oil pressure and charging current to drop.
If the bias tables worked, I don't understand why you want to update the VE tables. (unless your planning on putting your O2 bias tables back to original and then increasing VE tables in cells that were knocking.)

The set target idle RPM should not change unless engine was going into "heat mode". As long as ECM is not going into high heat management, ECM will step IAC to maintain RPM to set target.

Glad you got the knock out using the bias table. I would not go too low on idle trying to keep it cooler. My target idle is set for 1050 because I don't want oil pressure and charging current to drop.
If the bias tables worked, I don't understand why you want to update the VE tables. (unless your planning on putting your O2 bias tables back to original and then increasing VE tables in cells that were knocking.)

The set target idle RPM should not change unless engine was going into "heat mode". As long as ECM is not going into high heat management, ECM will step IAC to maintain RPM to set target.
Your idle rpm comment makes sense...don't want oil pressure and charging current to drop. Better to leave the idle where it is then.

As for the VE tables, I just want to record a data run and smart tune the VE's to reflect current settings to ensure AFR is correct and fine tuned to enable better efficiency..make sense?

As for the VE tables, I just want to record a data run and smart tune the VE's to reflect current settings to ensure AFR is correct and fine tuned to enable better efficiency..make sense?

I have not yet used the 2010 smart tune software but I would be cautious in your case. The reason I say that is this: Since the bike is using narrow band O2 sensors, the software will only be able to make changes to the Red cells (Stoichiometric Ratio or closed loop cells) listed in the A/F ratio table and those changes will be limited to plus/minus .3 of 1 ratio point or 14.2 to 14.7 since that is the window the O2 sensor works within.

If you were to increase your bias tables to say max (.798) (like you have) you will shift your A/F ratio to the lower end of stoichiometric which will place all your Red A/F ratio fields to run at the equivalent of ~14.2. It is not going to change the value you see on the screen, it will be masked by the ECM. At this point if you were to run Smart tune, I think the program will see you are on the rich side of the o2 sensor window and it will decrease all your "Red" VE tables cells to compensate. I doubt it will shift the bias tables so the next best thing to do would be to lower all your VE tables which is exactly what you don't want it to do.
To me the software can only be as smart as the O2 sensor window and most likely it will right in the middle of that window which is 14.5 or back to where you started..

To see if this theory was true, before running smart tune, I would "save as new name" your current tune file & print both front and rear current VE tables with the bias tables set high like you now have them. Now run smart tune and let the software adjust what it thinks is necessary. Now view & print the New VE tables that smart tune created and compare them to your 1st set. If any new VE table cells are in fact lower in value with no cells having an increased value, it would prove my theory. Or you could just ride the bike and see if it starts knocking again.

Like I said earlier, I have not used smart tune yet so this is all only a guess. Only reason I bring it up is because I don't want you to un-do any improvements you previously made by changing your bias.

Back