free website stats program Semi hard substance from the timing cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Semi hard substance from the timing cover

TWNKC

Hello everyone,Im new here but have been reading the post for several weeks now.
Back april 98ROADKING had a post about a semi hard substance leaking from the timing cover.
I have the same problem on my 98 FXDLR.Has anyone found out what is going on here and what problems it can lead to or how to fix it?

Thanks Have a great day

My thoughts are it is oozing from the cam sensor that fits under that cover.. Seems not to be any problem so I would just wipe it off and go on with Life..

I owned several bikes having the cam sensor. Never did My cam sensor give me a problem like that...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Geezer and Bubbie I`m sure someone can come along and answer this.

IT seems to be just on the 98 models.

I`ll let you know what I find out . Thanks again

Yep it's the cam sensor. Had it happen on a 96 Sportster that I used to own. Took the cover off and the center of the sensor has a carmel looking coating on the wires and terminals to seal them to the sensor housing. It melted out and made a mess. Cleaned it up with good old break cleaner, marked the position of the sensor and removed the screws that hold the sensor on so I could move the sensor to a horizontal position. Mixed up some JB weld and filled the void where the carmel junk melted out of. After allowing the JB weld to cure, reassembled and never gave another problem. Or you can just install a new sensor, but the JB weld was fast, simple, and cheap.

Swanny

Thanks Swanny,

I`ll give that a try sure sounds like it will work,and I always have JB weld on hand.
Thanks everyone have a great day and ride safe

Back