free website stats program Selling to Canada? | Harley Davidson Forums

Selling to Canada?

Is there anything I should be aware of or know before I sell a scoot to someone in Canada? Any laws or taxes or rules a seller has to be aware of?

I don,t think there,s anything for you to worry about. It,s up to the buyer to have all his papers in order to get it across the border. Cash in hand is always a good thing.

The potential buyer said he thinks she needs a trip permit to ride it back. Is there any issue with him bringing cash across the boarder?

The buyer is limited to $10000 cash. When I bought my US bike I needed a letter of recall from the deale,r a clear title, a bill of sale. I paid the loan off with HD credit and they sent me the title. I took the title to my ins broker and get a ins slip and went to the license office and got an Ontario trip permit. US custom needs 72 hours notice.
kemo

Last I heard, Steve saddled up and was hunting Rich down with a big gun!!!!!! LOL :bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

Just kidding.:s

As a seller you have no obligations. All the work is up to the buyer. They will need a "Letter of recall clearance" from Deely Harley Davidson in Canada. They will need all titles and a clearance of all liens on the bike before they cross the border. 3 days before they cross they will have to fax all needed paperwork to the border crossing they plan to use. At the border they will have to pay the GST (sales tax) and the Federal inspection fee before crossing. Then once home they will have to go through Federal inspection and Provincial inspection.

Everything they need to know is on this web page RIV.

I've done this twice. It's a bit of work but was well worth it to me.

Oh and I forgot to mention Insurance and an "in transit" plate.
Thanks cdn-bigfoot. Does he just need to get the "in transit" plate from his DMV or similar? What will he need to get the plate? He is new to this whole process and is asking me, but I don't know. I'm just trying to help a brother out. I will pass the website link on to him.

Is he riding the bike home or trailering. If he is trucking or trailering he doesn't require any temporary transport sticker or insurance.
kemo

Back