free website stats program Sell it or Store it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sell it or Store it?

is it paid for? do you have a free place to keep it? do you love it? if so... hold it.
shoulda made a poll. :)

Richard,
From your past posts I will assume that the majority of the work that is done to your bikes, you don't do yourself and you pay a shop. That to me is a big factor in "keeping or selling". If I did not turn a wrench, I would agree with you 100%.. Absolutely Sell.

But if the OP does all his own work, I would have to change my answer. Storage prep and unprep, and no more warranty, is something I really don't consider because I do all my own work.

(?) make sense.

If I could store it at no cost I would prep it correctly and hang on to it, especially if it is paid for right now. I myself don't look forward to the next generation of water cooled bikes. I won't ever make that jump and would buy a clean used bike to stay air cooled.

Kinda reminds me of the old days when stereo equipment went from Vacuum tube to Solid State during the early '70's . Everyone said solid state was the way to go.... If we only knew the truth.

1+ with Hoop...HD bought and paid for, setup like you want it, servicing mainly by yourself, proper storage, draining all fluids, oiling the cylinders, putting on the lift, etc. you should be good.

But have to say vacuum tubes are okay for guitar amps, but modern (not 70's) solid state amps with proper design will be superior in just 'bout everywhere else. Big problem with early solid state equipment was direct coupled designs with experimental high power pass elements operating at their limits would self destruct if one part of the circuit broke down or speaker wire fell off or the like. Modern designs with active cross over networks make sonic effiiciency and long life standard fare these days, obsolescence being the main casulty of modern electronics...just happens.

Last edited:
Considering we are just sharing opinions, I would sell it. One of my main reasons would be that it would drive me nuts worrying about "my baby". I have a hard time over the winter months here in Minnesota and I can go check on the bike any time I want. Like many have said, the financial hit that goes with selling it will sting a bit, but you could always take off a few of your add ons and either store those parts for a later bike (knowing that they may or may not fit your next ride) or sell them to help the hurt a little. We all know that the return on investment for accessories leaves alot to be desired.

Plus, for me, the excitement of looking over HD's website knowing that when I got back, I was going shopping for a new bike, would be a blast :D

Only you know what is best for you and your situation. This is really one of those times to follow your gut!

Considering we are just sharing opinions, I would sell it. One of my main reasons would be that it would drive me nuts worrying about "my baby".

Have to agree with that.

I'm with the majority here, sell it if you can and take the loss. 3 years the loss will be greater. Of course if you store it correctly you can have her back up and running with no issue, but I would much rather sell and look forward to coming home and buying a new one with full warranty and everything.

Unless this bike is a true classic or a one of a kind, I would sell it and take the loss, as said in earlier posts even with the best storage procedures the bike will deteriorate a little, rubber dry rots over time, tires will be your first expense on return, the cost of storage will probly exceed any losses you will take from the sale of the bike, not too mention if you have other start up problems when you return, and IMO its always exciting to buy and set up something new, and something I would do is open a seperate cd in the bank for the new bike fund and forget about it so the money makes a little interest and the money is there for the new bike.

Store it. You've already got it set up the way you like it. As Glider said above, properly stored, it will be ready for you when you get back. Gods speed!

I see no answers in the thread posted by the originator.... Maybe skimming thru and not seen..

Question was IS It Paid For? *No = sell

If stored Where? Home or Bought storage? *(home Yes, paid storage *No)

If stored will the Insurance be covered for fire and theft? *No
Could you remove All the Extra parts and put Back to original equipment?*No
(saving extra parts by chance they fit when you Buy the new bike later)

Do you have a family member or Friend that you could make a super Good deal with at todays resale... $$$$ you Don't get in todays market?... *No

I would SELL if most of these above answer ??? are *No...

Saving the "taken-off parts" and when you get home LOOK for the exact bike and Probably even with Lower miles than on yours Now, and put the dream bike back together like it was before you left......

I would Bet you could get the exact bike with Lower miles on it EVEN after 3 more years.... Look for they are Out There!

signed....BUBBIE

Back