free website stats program Self Centering Steering Head not self centering | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Self Centering Steering Head not self centering

Hoople
Thanks for sharing your obviously well-founded ideas with us, I will see how I can rig it up someting similar in my garage.
To answer your question; My tourer does not have a hollow axle - which makes me miss a few good ideas it sounds like.
I will try to get hold of something similar to your magnetic combination gauge.
Also, thanks for the tip on the Glide-pro page alignment video. Speaking of which, I like the Glide-pro approach better than the other bolt-on solutions...

Elmo
Good stuff! Sounds like you know the 'Norwegian experience' i.e eat caustic soda dipped fish and drink strong liquor. That lethal combination was invented by and for vikings, heh, heh.
The word Akevitt (Norwegian) = Aqua Vitae (Latin) = Uisge Beatha (Gaelic) = Whisky (Scottish) = Water of Life = pure enjoyment.
I am BTW located East - in Oslo to be more accurate. Possibly shorter riding season here, but then again we get proper summer temps... Where are you visiting when over here?

Harbor Freight used to carry a version of the magnetic camber gauge, it is not as nice as the one Hoople has but it will work

The current problem is nothing like the bagger wobbles I had with the stock configuration. I made those upgrades some 30K ago and have only been having the current problem for a couple months. But the two issues are night and day different.

The two issues are night and day different and is nothing like bagger wobble.

Would you be able to describe what those differences are. Is it the frequency of the wobble that is different? From what you said ("just let go of bars with a passenger on the back") you do not even need anything to start a wobble session,, (speed bump, sweep turn, road level shift, hi speed).

Sounds like you can do it at 40 MPH "on demand" when you want it to..

Since you did the Glide Pro bushings 30K miles ago, you may want to take a peek at those bushings. They are much better than Genuine HD but they can't last forever either. You just never know. One may be worn or sloppy.
Doing it once, does not mean they will last forever.

Hoople, hadn't heard about the frame tubes under the seat before, excellent. Sounds like that would also provide a reference to check if the fork tubes are clamped at exactly the same height.

Embarrassed myself on that one, too long since I had that part in pieces. The fork top bolts pretty well locate the fork tubes vertically, at least on the 08 RK.

Back