Seems like a good deal?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by jamientrish, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jamientrish

jamientrish Member

A nearby dealer seems to be able to make me a pretty good deal on a stage 1 upgrade for my 2009 883 Sporty.

SE air cleaner, SE slip ons, installation and download for $673 total after military discount a special they're running.

The closest dealer where I bought the bike can't/won't do it for less than $1000.

I am no mechanic, so I wouldn't feel comfortable installing myself.

Does this sound like a decent deal?

2. sgt_1230

sgt_1230 Active Member

It seems like a very fair deal. If you go with list price for the parts ($300 for SE slip ons, $140 for stage 1 air cleaner and $150 for the ECM down load) that means only about $83 for installation of the mufflers and air cleaner. If you are an experienced mechanic I supposed you could do the work in 1-2 hours. My local dealer here gets almost $70/hr for labor so the price you are being given seems very reasonable. I put the screaming eagle slip ons on my wife's 08 1200 low and she loved them. I thought they were too quiet, but they do sound a lot better than the stock mufflers and with the stage 1 air cleaner and ECM down load your bike is going to run a LOT better. I think you will be very happy with the upgrade. Good luck with it!

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Sgt1230' analysis is pretty sound, if you can get the upgrade complete and guaranteed for $600-$700 while establishing a rapport with your dealer is a pretty good deal (they may throw in some in house specials...mine offered free installation of HD or K├╝ryakyn grips they had in stock or similar weekly specials).